To Sadowsky, or not to Sadowsky... That is the question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Call, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I was thinking today. I really want to get a 4-string. I like my Bongo 5, and am planning on keeping it for a while longer (actually, I really don't see myself selling it anytime soon).

I'm really thinking about a Sadowsky. My current gigging situation really doesn't need much as far as amp. I almost (if not) always play with substantial PA support.

So, I'm thinking about selling all of my amp gear. Then taking the money and buying a decent combo: I had an Ampeg BA112 for a while, and it worked wonderfully. Then taking the rest of the money, putting it towards my holy grail of basses.

A Sadowsky P/J.

Any thoughts on this? I'm just figuring, I really don't need that big of an amp at all. I really just need a personal monitor and I'm set. I've been playing direct for probably the last 4 or 5 months, and kind of like the idea of going to a gig with a direct box and a bass. Simple, sufficient, and the sound guys actually seem to prefer it.

I also figure that, down the road, I can upgrade my amp to whatever I choose.

Any thoughts/suggestions/comments?
  2. I'd say go for it.

I remember reading an interview with Geddy where he said that his amplification gear could fit in a backpack! That would be a great luxury, not to have to carry those cabs up stairs etc.

And although I have never played a Sadowsky, its hard to deny the majority of the worship that they get here.
  3. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I actually haven't either. But I'm a classic-styled bass lover. Plus, the love/devotion/craftsmanship that goes into each instrument (IMO) is undenyable. Plus, I never wanted to try a Bongo. I hated the body style and didn't even want to try it. I buckled after reading so many rave reviews. I fell in love.

Besides, there's a 7 day return policy.
  4. Chazzz

Jan 27, 2006
    Spokane, WA
    I like my Metro M5-24 - it's a 5-string and it doesn't have the Vintage Tone Control, but it's really a great sounding/great playing bass. If they made 6-strings, I think I would've already put an order for one of those.

FWIH, the worst thing about a Sadowsky NYC bass is the 6-9 month wait. But I see they have a Vintage P/J 4-string that looks pretty decent and might be just what you're looking for without the wait. But they have a great looking basic-black 24-fret P/J 5-string that might be even better...

I say go for the Sad.

I do not work for Sadowsky, and am in no way compensated for above recommendation. :)
  5. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    That P/J 4 happens to be the one I'm debating right now! I definitely don't think I could handle the wait. At the same time, it would be nice to get it made to my desires...
  6. Chazzz

Jan 27, 2006
    Spokane, WA
    My original Sadowsky plan (since I don't have any local sources) was to buy a Metro and see how it was. After that, if I liked it and had the money, I'd order an NYC bass to my specs and sell the Metro (or keep it for a backup bass) after the NYC arrived. The nice thing about the NYC deal is that Sadowsky only required $500 down to get the bass going. The balance, IIRC, is due just before shipping. You could do the same thing with the P/J 4. There's no doubt that you will be able to sell it -- and since it's used already, you might not lose much on the resale when your custom NYC arrives. Just a thought or two...

(Since then, my purchase plans (as well as my budget) have changed. So I'm just going to stick with the Metro for a while longer).
  7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i would never subject this the injustice of running thru an ampeg combo... :p
  9. steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Sadowskys are really nice. If you play one that calls your name go for it. If you're just buying it for the name, then forget it.
  10. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    IMO you just can't go wrong with a Sad.

A short and true story- I visist a lot of high end pro shops because of my job. During my visits I ask a lot of questions about where the market is going.

Talking to a pro shop in Nashville that sell to a lot of....well...pros. I ask him how his boutique bass business is. He says "not so good". Futher he says "I used to sell a lot of boutique basses from all different makers. Each of my customers would buy a couple a year each....come in, trade one for another. I was moving a lot of high end basses. Then, I started carrying Sadowsky. These same customers came in and bought Sads. They liked them so much everyone stopped coming back and trading them in for the next big boutique thing".

Sads just work. I also like the aspect of "the guy behind the brand". Roger is a guy devoted to making the best product he can and he's just simply a decent guy. I like supporting people like that.
  11. alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    Get the Sadowsky. Especially as you seem to be setting your heart on one.
  12. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Even though you obviously said this "tongue in cheek",
    my Metro MV4 sounds fabulous through my B-100R combo.
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If I didn't have a P/J 5 on order, that one would seriously tempt me. What a looker!

My thoughts are that a solid, quality bass would be a great foundation to build around, and with a 7-day return policy (plus the Sadowsky reputation - which I feel is well earned), it would seem like a fairly safe route to go. I also live in an area where you can't very easily just go play a Sadowsky. But I had played one about ten or eleven years before I got my first Sadowsky, and that memory stuck with me that whole time. I am really happy with my 24F 5 (25th Anniversary model), and I look forward to my P/J 5 (and for the record, I have played a number of NYC's and Metros after getting my 24F 5).

So, one more vote in the "go for it" column. :)

14. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I currently play my Dolphin and Metro RV4 live through an Acoustic Image Slave Amp (3.5 lbs) and a Sansamp DI... talk about light and portable considering most clubs have cabs. This has worked out extremely well....

Go for the Sadowsky

- Tom
  15. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    If you're asking is because you already want to do it...
    ...then DO IT! :hyper:

yuo won't regret it.:)
  16. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I REALLY like mine - wonderful feel and tone - hard to put down. FWIW, I've reached the point where I almost can't play a 4, it just feels too weird. I have played a couple of Sadowsky 4's a while ago and they were just flat-out wonderful basses.

What is that saying?
    "The bad taste of inferior quality will last far longer than the satisfaction of saving money."

Dan K.
  17. Not to hijack this thread, but have you thought about whether you want to go with the standard PJ or reverse PJ? Is there a significant tonal difference between the PJ and reverse PJ? I understand that the reverse configuration is supposed to result in a tighter B - is there any tradeoff/downside? Thanks
  18. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Absolutely! Don't even hesitate!
  19. Go for it! The only problem I forsee is that you won't be able to stop at one.:hyper:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky is my Alpha and Omega when it comes to Basses ! :bassist: