Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To save or not to save

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geej, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Hey guys,
    I currently have 2 basses, a 4 string Ibanez GSR 100, and a 5 string Yamaha ...

The yamaha goes pretty well and I'm happy with it, my question is about the 4 string...

It was my first bass (came in a pack with a 50watt amp), it's not too bad, not great.
    -Passive
    -2 controls - tone (i think?) and volume
    (is tone the control that if its full on gives a bright sound and lots of finger noise, and fully down gives a more dull sound and zero finger noise?)
    -I'm no expert on woods, but I'd say they are nothing special...
    -Precision style pups

The main question is, I want a decent 4 string, to go along with my 5 string... so should I get a new bass, something like a Marcus Miller jazz? Or install some new strings, pickups and bridge and keep the Ibanez? Money saved is good and all, but I don't want to be putting money into a lost cause... I play alot of different music, for band purposes: stuff like Metallica, Tool, APC which sometimes calls for a pick but i mainly play finger style... and just by myself i enjoy playing Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller and funk like Jamiroquai (sp?) etc etc... So I want a nice low end, but not at a compromise with crisp highs and I want a decent slap tone - the ibanez isnt too bad for slapping, but I heard the MM Jazz is awesome.... I was leaning towards the Marcus Miller jazz (Ive got gas so badly) because I think the jazz pickups will get a pretty nice tone (not that i have much experience with jazz pups...). But if I can get a pretty good/usable tone out of a bass I already have, thats a pretty good deal IMO...

EDIT: I play through a Roland D-Bass 500 amp which can manufacture alot of different tones, but it wont do much good if the basses sound sucks in the first place. And I am also open to string type suggestions - will repost the string question in the appropriate forum if it annoys you - but saves posting 2 threads about the same thing

So, helpy? :rolleyes: :help:

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you don't like the way the Ibanez plays, getting new electronics or hardware will be a waste of money. I say get another bass after you have saved the money. By the way, the control you described was the tone nob.