1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To save or not to save?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jp58, Apr 23, 2010.

1. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    I just sold the Ibanez gsr200 I've had since I started in favor of getting something new (and because it was becoming rather unreliable). I've settled on either a P or an ATK300. I'm gig ready as far as amp goes (I have a 200W combo http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...nd-B115-250W-1x15-Bass-Cab-Package?sku=483494 ). My real question is, how much of a quality drop off is there from a MIM Fender to either the ATK or the VM Squire? Its going to require the saving of money (and me being bass-less) for several weeks and potentially a month or so. So is that difference in quality worth the wait?

I love the growl the ATK has, but at the same time I like the "wall of sound" the P produces... Kinda hard to get both I suppose. I like the ATK's neck a bit more too I suppose, but I don't like the lack of an "anchor" above the open E because I go with the "floating anchor" approach. What do you guys think?

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I think you should get the one that sounds and plays best for you. If you like both basses tone equally then go with the one that plays best, which so far is looking like the ATK. If the lack of an anchor is your only gripe about the ATK, then keep in mind you can always install an anchor if you want.

3. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Install an anchor you say!? *retreats to hidden laboratory where evil sciences are performed*

4. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    For the most part, vm squier and Mim Fender are roughly equal. the fender will probably be shielded where the squire probably won't.

Atk's on the other hand, recieve really nice set-ups at the factory and are shielded and humcanceling.

All this is garbage. Buy the one that plays the best in your hands and sounds best to your ears.

5. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Ok saving for the atk it is... What about installing that anchor though?

6. you could get some wood and cut it to a height you find comfortable, and screw it in

7. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Self tapping wood screws and a chunk of wood/plastic/ ect.

e-bay and all the part places should have cheap thumb rests available, if you need the "authentic, honest to goodness" thumbrest

Drill pilot holes after you determine optimum location. Use a drill bit that is just smaller than your screw's diameter. The screws don't need to be very long, just enough to bite and not pull out, say 1/2" to 3/4" into the surface.

Measure twice before making any permanent changes to your bass.

Alternatively, rough up the finish with some 100 grit ONLY IN THE SPOT IMMEDIATELY UNDER THE REST and use some epoxy to hold it on.

Don't feel up to it? Take it to a tech. May as well have it done right rather than risk damaging your new investment.

In any case, if you do get the atk, take it home and play it for a month before drilling or gluing. you may find a technique that works for you that will not involve defacing your bass and possibly reducing the resale value.

8. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    thanks for the help guys