To sell or not to sell? (late 70's P-bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Nov 12, 2000.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Hi bass nuts,

I've got a late 70's P-bass in pretty good shape. I'm
    thinking about selling it because it hasn't seen the
    light of day in many moons.

It's original and in pretty good shape. Think I would regret
    selling it? If I decided I just couldn't live w/o ones, could
    I replace it easily or are these things scarce? How
    much you reck'n it's worth?

It's actually a cool bass, but it's a ...well... P-bass.
    Also, it's factory turd brown with a black pick guard
    and pickups and a maple neck. Well, I guess you take
    vintage instruments how they come.

What do you think?

P.S. Any potential buyers? Come on...turd brown...
    how can you resist?
  2. I know of the combination you are speaking of...It's uuuugly! ;)

Currently late 70's P basses on ebay have brought a pretty fair penny. Steve Barr of Vintage Bass Trading Co. has pointed out that it's definitely a sellers market. IMO, with all things being proper and in good condition, you could probably realize $600-$800 dollars - maybe more.
  3. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I used to own a '76 Sunburst P. In fact, it was my first bass. I thought I would never get rid of it. The playablity and feel were wonderful but I never really liked the tone I got out of it. I even went so far as to put Alembic Activator P/U's in it. I just found that in my opinion, there are superior basses out there to P's. Thus, after owning for some 15 years, I sold it.

If your P isn't working for you, by all means sell it. Somebody else might fall in love with it and you can use the cash to try something else.

4. ckonthe1

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    A bass like that in Music City USA is like a pot of gold! All those high dollar country
    session ace guys.........playin' that same nasty, over the counter, dirty dog doo doo
    color bass, and making MILLIONS!!!!!!

Keep that bass bro'! If you do sell it, let ME know!
  5. If you can afford to, keep it.
    I sold a ’63 Jazz and a ’66 Precision a few years ago for about what they were worth at the time.
    The reason for selling them was because I had better basses and didn’t use the Fender’s much.
    Also I figured that now there were much better basses around, the value of vintage Fenders would fall. How wrong I was. If only I had of known then what they fetch now.

I feel pretty sure that 70’s Fenders will also reach very high amounts eventually.
    They say that 70’s models didn’t have the quality of the 60’s, but my ‘74 P is much better than my old ’66 P and I intend to keep it as long as possible even if I don't use very much.

BTW my ’74 P also started life in turd brown, but the guy got if from had it stripped down to natural. Looks much better now, although it has probably also stripped the value a little too.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I never sell anything. Even though it's a P, which I don't particularly like the tone of, if it were mine, I would keep it.
  7. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Are you a player or a collector? If you are a player, get rid of it and get something you enjoy playing. If you're a collector, keep it.
  8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Even if you are a "collector"....sell it...and give someone else a chance to play it...:)

[Edited by Deynn on 11-13-2000 at 02:48 PM]
  9. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Even if you are a "collector"....sell it...and give someone else a chance to play it...:)[/B][/QUOTE]

Deynn -- You wouldn't by any chance be in the market, would you? ;)
  10. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Why sell when you can give it to the good not so old, TB memeber guy FJC :D ;)