1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To Sell or Not to Sell...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fgnbtz, May 1, 2010.

1. fgnbtz

fgnbtz

Nov 26, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Hey guys, I need some advice from everyone. I am at a point where I am stuck on what to do. I have 3 basses: a Squier Vintage P, a Jazz from Japan, and an ESP Edwards 5 string (link below)
    http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/tetsuya/index.html#ed
    I have the red one, btw

Now, given that I have diverse sounds, I was looking into this:
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...sic-Man-RAY34-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=580995
    in silverburst color.

With that, should I sell the red 5 string to get the sterling? My guitarist does not like the 5 string because it is red, but it is by far the best bass that I own, quality wise.

Thank you guys! Hope you can help.

2. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    Do you like the red 5 better then the sterling? If yes, keep it. Do not sell it because someone doesn't like the color.
    I'm sorry, but it isn't you guitarists bass, its yours.

3. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Gee, what a pity. Boo hoo for the gui****.

4. fgnbtz

fgnbtz

Nov 26, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    haha nice.

Um, I always seem to want to sell the red 5 but then i pick it up again and i love playing it. it has EQ built in it like the sterling, but its such a unique bass, and i know of 1 other person in the US who has one,.

5. I hate the color red but my number 1 bass is fiesta red, i played it and it was amazing even tho it was red i bought it. if youu like the bass dont ditch it because the gui**** does not like it.

6. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Don't ever consider selling a bass because someone ELSE doesn't like it - whatever the reason.

That guitarist might quit the band in a month... or you might, and then what did you sell your favorite bass for?

If you really dig that Sterling, you can always save up for it. Don't sell your baby to placate the guitarist.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I hated my Candy Tangerine P bass the first 6 or 7 times I went to visit it at the shop. But I loved how it felt and sounded. Finally, after the 8th time, I traded a sweet Ric 4001 straight up for the Fender. The color has grown on me, and the bass is still one of my top 2 favorites. I'd hate to think how I'd feel if I lost it.

8. i want one of those silverburst ray34s so bad!

9. squirefan

squirefan

Nov 22, 2009
    Lansing, Ks.
    +1

10. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    Couple things come to mind. Spray bomb flat black lacquer. It will wipe off easy with lacquer thinner. Buy the other bass before selling that one. Don't care what the guitar player likes. Or finally, get some hot pink strings for your red bass and ask the guitarist how he likes it now?

11. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    +1. a bow on the headstock might be a nice touch too.

but really, those sterlings look great. i've never gotten the chance to try one but i'd love to. that tobacco burst is nice! but don't get rid of something you like just because somebody else dislikes the color. i'm sure your guitarist isn't as petty as that makes him sound, but either way it's a terrible reason to get rid of a nice instrument. having said that, i'm really not a fan of red either :D

12. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    If it's rare, and a true ESP (not LTD),I'd keep it. It will go up in value over time (I think). You should sell one of your other basses instead, or not sell any at all :p.

13. Don't sell the Red ESP for a Sterling. That ESP is very cool, and far more versatile. Unless you just don't like the ESP, you WILL regret selling it - especially if you only sell it to satisfy someone who obviously pays more attention to the the color of the instrument around him than how they sound or how they're played.

Don't do it... Save up for the Sterling and try it before you decide to let the ESP go.

14. fgnbtz

fgnbtz

Nov 26, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    yea the main difference between the ESP and the Edwards that I own is the name on the headstock, a different wood for the neck, and the 3 band EQ is specific on the ESP, mine is generic. Oh and a $3500 price difference :p

15. fgnbtz

fgnbtz

Nov 26, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    bump for more advice lol

16. TheGrizz

TheGrizz

Nov 19, 2007
    Athol, MA
    Sponsored Artist: Free Idea Clothing
    Don't sell a bass because someone else doesn't like it. In the end it's your bass. If you have the means keeps what you have and supplement it. If he's that adverse tell him to buy you a bass. Plain and simple.

17. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    He doesnt like the red color? Well tell him you dont like the color of his shirt, or socks, or something. Looks like a nice red to me. Me Id take your red one over the other bass anyday. But thats just silly me. Lol.

18. fgnbtz

fgnbtz

Nov 26, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    he also says that i should be my own person or w/e cuz its an artist signature model. is that justified? lol

19. TheGrizz

TheGrizz

Nov 19, 2007
    Athol, MA
    Sponsored Artist: Free Idea Clothing
    Plenty of people play signature stuff. You could say the same about Les Pauls and SGs too. My main bass is a Geddy Lee Jazz. I play it for the same reason you play your bass. Because it feels good and sounds good.

20. fgnbtz

fgnbtz

Nov 26, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    yea i think i will tell him that lol