Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To Series or Parallel... That is the question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by reggaeman, Jul 27, 2005.

1. reggaeman

reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Forgive me for I am a pickup noob. I read through the stickys but some of this stuff is confusing for a noob as myself.

I have my MIA J bass set up stock. V/V/T

I always set both pickups to full volume and the tone rolled all the way off.

Would I benefit by switching my P/U's from parallel to series?
    Or maybe a push/put for both? Or would I lose that J bass tone if I converted to series?

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Id consider replacing the v/v with a single volume, and a 4-way switch, for neck, series, parallel, bridge. If you run both full blast most of the time, that would give you both options, plus the ability to solo the pups, and you wouldnt lose anything you already are doing.

Thats just one guys opinion though. If your interested, you might talk to Sheldon Dingwall - username Sheldon D. about getting a switch and maybe even the wiring schematic, as thats how his passive basses are wired (+ a BlueEQube switch).

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Having it available as an option (push/pull switch), rather than hardwiring it, gives you flexibility and no downside if you don't like using the option.