To Sir, with Love..who plays bass?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Woodboy, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Heard Lulu's "To Sir, with Love" on the radio yesterday. I was struck by the tasty and Jamerson-like bass line. Anybody know who played bass on that song?
  2. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
  3. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    It appears the bassist was Bob Lang of the Mindbenders. The Mindbenders continued on after the departure of Wayne Fontana, starred in the film with Lulu, and played the title track. Here's the link:
  4. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Not only is that one of the greatest movies ever (one can spot future Power Station vocalist Michael De Barres as one of the students), but that is a fabulous single. I don't hear Jamerson anywhere in that line- more of a Beach Boys thing with the muted playing- but it kills me every time I hear it. Good old Lulu.
  5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I believe it was John Paul Jones-I saw it listed somewhere in his list of studio credits.
    Being that he was an extremely busy session guy between 1962 and 1968, it is quite possible.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    EXTRAS: On Lulu's To Sir with Love album in '67, one of the arrangers was John Paul Jones, who would later play bass for Led Zeppelin …

that came from here

i believe tony tierney played bass on it. THAT came from here....

The Zeppelin thing seems like a rumor according to my search. I was kinda hoping they did play on it because I also love that song. Always brought a tear to my eye:crying: .
  7. Rose1963

Nov 4, 2013
    Any tabs for that anywhere?
    Thanks !
  8. I play it using these notes:
    B C# A E F# A C# / C# D B E F# B E
    fwiw :)
  9. Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    It was James Dewar. He was in Lulu and the Luvvers and later played with Robin Trower. In this picture, he his second in line, right behind Lulu.

Attached Files:

troubledog likes this.
  10. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W' Sconsin
    God I love that song. It releases something nice into my bloodstream.
  11. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    So far members have reported four different bassists who played on that song. No wonder it was so good.
  12. Big Daddy Bass

Big Daddy Bass

Sep 12, 2013
    It's amazing how much information is misconstrued on this song.
    1. Bob Lang of The MindBenders is the Bass Player on this song.
    2. James Dewar (who I am a BIG fan of his work with Trower) played Rhythm Guitar with The Luuvers, Lulu's backup band. He quit the band early in 1966. To Sir, With Love was not released until 6/14/1967. The Luuvers broke up late in 1966.
    3. Tony Tierney, the Bass player from the Luuvers, did not play on this track, see #2
    4. Mickey Most who Produced this album, had two (2) Arrangers work on this Album, John Paul Jones (Yes, he did arrange and play on some of the songs on this album) but because of the Orchestration required in this song, Don Leander was hired to Arrange and Conduct To Sir, With Love.
    Bob_Ross likes this.