Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To Smith or not to Smith...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maestrox, Nov 22, 2000.

1. maestrox

maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    that is the question. In my search for the perfect 34" scale 5-string fretted bass (perfect for me at least), Smith seems to pop up. I played one at a shop awhile back, and I have to admit it was pretty nice. It definately has a distinct tone, but it sounds like it would sit nicely in a mix.

Does anyone know bridge spacing and neck width at 24th fret? I'm looking for something narrower than a KL, but perhaps a bit wider than my Zon. Also, do the necks tend to be fairly shallow (thin front to back)? I'm mostly interested in the bolt-on versions.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Smith necks are shallow. The spacing is wide. I'm not sure of the 24th fret width. Because of the shallow neck, they are IME very, very easy to play.

They should be on anyone's short list of "perfect" 5 strings.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You could always get Kevin Walker's old Fodera from LABX ... it has Smith pickups in it.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If wide string spacing appeals to you, stay away from the Burner series, or whatever has replaced them (I never could figure out Smith's model numbering system). I can't give you the specs, but the spacing feels *extremely narrow*.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This thread would be incomplete without mentioning the venerable Fender Roscoe Beck V. It's even got the wide string spacing with a nice asymmetrical neck. Do a search.

6. maestrox

maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    You are correct. A conversation with Ken Smith yesterday indicates that all Smith's are 18mm spacing at the bridge, except for the new cheapie series which is 16mm. That is about the most narrow I've heard of (some Modulus Quantums are 17mm).

7. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I have a Smith 4-string (BSR4M) and love it. It's not for everyone, though. Definitely agree that if you're going to spend the money on a Smith Bolt-on, go for the M or J series over the B series.

In terms of how it sounds in a mix, here's a track I recently used mine on. It's not my best piece of work, but it will give you an idea of how it sits. Bear in mind, that we decided on using a more mid-range tone, rather than a very bassy one.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/897/897411.html