Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

to sp2 or not to sp2, that is the question.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Aug 26, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

I have heard some conflicting info on windows xp's latest service pack. So what is the lastest opinion on this?

2. Ive just been reading up on this actually.
    My vote will be for no.

Ive been reading a bit about this thing...and alot of people are complaining its crud. Just do a google search on "xp service pack 2 problems" You get alot of results.

I also know a guy who is a comp tech teacher, and he said he tried to install it on numerous computers at the school he teaches and they all caused problems. He also said that he heard from a few other people that they have had problems as well.

I think i will wait a few months before i download it. If at all...providing they get the bugs fixed.

3. Microsoft has issued an official list of programs that won't work after installing sp2 (virusscanners, word, p2p-programs, the likes...)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2

There it is. Anway, it's pretty bad there's holes in their software, but take someone like my mom for example: what if I'm away while they issue sp2? I let updates install themselves so my mon doesn't have to worry about it.

Also , ms issued a patch that allows system admins to block installing sp2 because it wrecks entire networks. Oh well, I'm going back to linux anyway:)

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I just did it. Everything seems O.k. It's quiet. Too quiet! Anyway, its 97 megs of Microsoft mediocrity.

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Wait abit... Always wait to upgrade main PC's software antil you are sure it works by testing it or having others review it....

I heard it makes your pc slower... don't know how true it is... waiting for someone to explore it:D

Cheers

6. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I installed SP2 and it works fine. Also that list of "programs that don't work" is just a list of programs that don't work %100 read the symptoms and most of them are minor. I had one piece of software on the list (NAV2003) and the only thing that doesn't work is that it won't scan at startup even if you want it to but I don't want it to so I'm fine. There are some other problems that I probably haven't noticed. I'm not too worried about the holes bacause windows in general has gaping flaws and I'm behind a software firewall and a router.

7. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I think every major pragram should have a free open beta testing, they find problems easier this way.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Working fine here.
    But then, I made a clean install with a slipstreamed XP-CD.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    PC Magazine had an article saying how everyone should install SP2. They're certainly not a shill for Microsoft (just read one of John C. Dvorak's editorials any given month and that becomes clear) and they mostly give pretty good advice.

brad cook

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    SP2 caused numerous problems on the PCs in our department.

I haven't tried it at home, but I'll wait.

-Mike

11. everyone is right, AND wrong. bottom line - they release SP's because someone found a bug and if it's big enough they "Fix" it. those "fixes" may conflict with other things from other vendors that are now "broken" because something else got "fixed". in specific reference to the programs that stop working after SP2, take a look at this thread in the Cakewalk Sonar forum:
    http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m=192828

so FWIW the real deal is if you wanna run at the front of the pack you're gonna be the one of the first ones to step in it

"If it ain't aBroke
    "Fix it til it Is aBroke"

Antonio the FIAT mechanic

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like what it has done with my VIA chipset based laptop. I had random hardware freezes from a RAM upgrade that was installed. SP2 fixed that, and I have not had any other harware conflict. The only problem my laptop still has is that the Athlon processor runs hot, and the whole chassis gets very warm. But that is a separate problem altogether.

13. SP2 did have an open beta. I've been running SP2 for a few months now. Never had any problems even with the earlier RC2. They've already found a "hole" in IE6, but it requires so much work to utilize it, it's not much of a threat.

14. AMD processors tend to run a little hotter than Intels. My AthlonXP on my desktop normally runs at about 114˚F, just while in Windows, running idle.

15. I did it a week ago. Minor issue with NAV 2002 but overall it did just fine.

I like the built-in popup blocker.