1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To squier or not to squier....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mralex, Nov 24, 2010.

1. mralex

mralex

Oct 29, 2010
    I have a delema...
    I typically play Ibanez but I really like the look and feel of the fender bass's (especially the p) and i would like a road warn, relic feel, however i dont have the cash to pump out for a non squier.

Here lies the delema, im having a hard time getting over that its suposubly the "beginner" model.

im not sure what im asking in this thread.. i guess does the squier preform and play well enough (in your experience) to get over the name?

for conversations sake i would get a P and mod it to be a PJ (unless they make one already as a PJ setup? im not sure?) I would either put dimarzio or semour duncan in it havent decided yet, and i would probably (not 100% sure) give it a road warn relic look.

Comments? Concerns? Thoughts?

Thanks for any advice!

2. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Don't know what your budget actually is, but here's your P/J...

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...P-Bass-Special-4String-Bass-Guitar?sku=510569

I almost bought one recently, but I'm not a fan of the Jazz necks on these. If it had a regular Precision neck, it would be mine. That antique 'burst/tort version is SHARP!

If you're referring to the Affinity model (beginner bass), then do a search...there are many threads about those...both good and not so good.

3. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    I'm playing for over 30 years professionally.

I've owned vintage and boutique basses.

I play a Squier.

4. I don't know about the P/J model, But I have heard plenty of good things about it, but I can personally vouch for the two I have, the Vintage Modified Jazz and Precision. Both are excellent, and, IMO not just "good for the money", but good for twice what I paid, and neither one absolutely NEED modification. If and when I have the opportunity, I would not hesitate to use one in a professional situation, and I think you'll find plenty of pros here that feel the same. In other words, yes, get over the name. As with any bass, though, not just Squier, try them before you buy one.

5. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    A bass is only a beginner's bass if in the hands of a beginner. Otherwise, it's a tool for musical expression. Doesn't matter whether its $99 or $4000.

6. dogofgod

dogofgod

Dec 24, 2009
    Practice can turn almost any bass into an awesome bass.

7. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    I made this point on another thread, but I'll post it here for anyone who's interested.

All the guitar and bass parts on this track were played on Squiers.

Who you calling a beginner?! lol.

8. Squier does have the stigma thing but you really do have some choices. You could buy a used MIM Fender for around $250 or less if you are patient. You could also just get the Squier and either change necks or sand off the logo and just call it you franken bass (you will need to do some mods in order to earn this title).

My bass has kept is Squier name since day one. I have thought many times about sanding and applying a Fender graphic, especially since mine basically is a Fender from the MIM factory. Even as I type this, I keep thinking about changing the headstock logo. Then I think that the gold logo MIM Squier has got to be pretty rare. I have not seen another one. I am thinking that the rest of these gold logos are long gone. Anyone have some info for me?

9. mralex

mralex

Oct 29, 2010
    Beautiful awnsers :) exactly what I was hoping to hear!!

10. squires are well better than they used to be like 10 years ago

my main is a squier

11. I forgot to mention, here's another Squier bass with a P/J pickup configuration that's been getting a lot of attention and general praise lately, just released a couple of months ago:
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jaguar-Bass?sku=430661
    Make sure you note, the stock pickups on this bass as well as the other Vintage Modified basses are (Seymour) Duncan designed pickups. The ones on my basses sound great, there is no need to swap them out.

13. Absolutely Squier. I've owned several and was never disappointed with any of them. There are a couple I wish I still had....

14. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    I have some really nice basses..but I play my Squier more than any of them

15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    The Classic Vibe and VM Squier P's are both FANTASTIC basses. If you want more of an old school P tone then go for the Classic. But if you want a growly, grindy P tone then get the VM.

16. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    +1 to what everyone is saying. I too have the VM Jazz, and find it worth much more than I paid for it. Great bass

17. dreasher54

dreasher54

Nov 18, 2010
    I have a Squier jazz bass and i absolutley love it. I use that and a Stingray for every thing.

18. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    I have to say that I have owned some very nice basses, BUT my main 2 right now are a '83 SQ p-bass, and a 20th Anniv. Squier PJ p-bass.
    I changed the bridge to a Leo Quan II, and Duncan SPB-3 & STK-J2b and it sounds KILLER!
    If you get to pick out the bass at the store, then the biggest thing is to try out a couple to find what feels the best to you. Good Luck and have fun.

19. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Uh oh, just when I thought I was out of gas!

No master volume though, right? That may be the deal breaker.

20. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Bass Player mag just gave the Vintage Mod series rave reviews