Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To standby, or not to standby.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marty Forrer, Apr 29, 2002.

1. I've got a Trace V type 230 watt all tube head arriving next week, and want to see what the current thinking is on standby switches. Some people say you've got to use them to prolong tube life, and others say they're a waste of time, as they dont keep the tubes hot enough. I know there are some tube experts here, so what's the verdict?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I'm not an expert-this guy is http://www.geofex.com/tubeampfaq/taffram.htm

This FAQ is one of the best I have seen. If you cannot be bothered to read it all the answer to your question is

Start up-use standby for a min or two then switch on the amp.

short break-swtich to standby

shut down-don't use standby

3. It's pretty important to keep the amp on standby for a minute or two. The power switch turns the heater supply on, when you flip the standby switch it sends high voltage to the tubes (plate voltage). Applying high voltage to cold tubes is a sure way to shorten tube life. When you turn it off you can just turn off the power though.

4. I'll also add that it is my understanding that you should not use the Standby switch during breaks. Just leave it completely on. Putting it in Standby for long periods could result in cathode poisoning.

Chris