Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To stick with combo amps or buy a cheap half stack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Jul 12, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I was thinking the other day about wether I should buy another combo or buy a half stack. The cheapest mix of parts in a half stack equaled around 300-400 dollars, which is close to what I would spend if I bought a combo. Anyone have any take on this?

And if somebody says half stack, can you tell me some good entry level parts?

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Welcome to Talkbass!

Not a lot of information to go on! What are you gonna be doing with your amp??? Playing gigs small/medium/large, practising, recording???

What do you have just now, and why are you lookign to change?? Is portability an issue??? Do you want it to reproduce a Low B (do you have a 5 string?)

Without knowing all this I can't give a whole lot of advice.

However, I will say that I recently bought an Ashdown Electric Blue 130-15. It has 130 watts into a single 15" speaker. Works real good for my 5 strings. Reason I got this was that I wanted something portable for practise and gigs that are too small to justify taking my Trace rig along to! The Ashdown cost me £289, but I have seen the same model on sale in the US for $389! Can't remember where, but if you do a search on google I'm sure you'll find some places!

As for half stacks, I seem to remember that several TBers recently bought Trace Elliot Commando (or was it boxer heads?) for $99. I believe this is a 100 watt head. Try doing a search in this forum for Trace Elliot and you'll see what they said. As to speaker cabs, a 2 x 10 or if you can get it cheap enough a 4 x 10 would sound great with a head like that.

Edit: Here's a link to that thread :-

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=49762&highlight=Trace

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    We need more info.

Peace
    Nick

4. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Check out the TubeWorks 7200 (?) combo series,, over 100 watts,, tube preamp,, great sound!! you can find them at www.basspalace.com with 12 or 15 inch speakers.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Get a amp and a small cab (e.g. 2x10). It's more flexible and easier to transport(!) too.

6. Try eBay for a used Gallien-Krueger 800RB (about $300) or 400RB (about $200) amp head. Then go to www.avatarspeakers.com and order a B410 4x10 cabinet ($249 plus shipping). Add a speaker cable and you're good to go. Inexpensive, powerful enough for most gigs, great tone, great quality.

ps -- get the cab in an 8 ohm configuration, so you can add a second cab easily later for more volume.

I own a G-K 400RB and two Avatar cabs, a B210 and a B115. It makes me happy!

7. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    As someone who currently has to cart around a 100-pound Ampeg combo, I agree with this advice. Keep it modular and flexible if you have the option to...

8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i hate to be the old fart here but the phrase "buy cheap buy often" comes to mind. you dont have to buy a 8000 dollar rig. but go ahead and save and get what you want. that being said i bought a peavey cabinet, not because i couldnt afford a different brand but because it was what i wanted.

9. Yes, but what a sweet combo that is! I don't know why they ever discontinued the B2-48; sounds way better than the lone 15. I guess I have the modular form of your combo. This one cost me $500 on eBay, and I couldn't be happier. I'll add another 4x8 can someday.

Modular all the way.....

10. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Yup. I love the sound of the B2-48. My sound does tend to get swallowed up in a rock situation without an extension cab, though. (I've got an Avatar 15" that seems to help A LOT.)

11. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000

I'm going to order the B210...should I get the 4 ohm one? I have an Ashdown MAG 400 and the band has subwoofers with the PA.

Wouldn't the 4 ohm speaker give me more volume?

12. yes. But if you're getting a 2x10, I'd go with the 8-ohm, because if you get the 4-ohm, you can't add another cab later (unless the head runs at 2-ohms, which I don't think it does).

My advice? a 4-ohm 4x10 cab. They're not THAT heavy, and you'll probably never need another cab.

13. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Reading all those questions and realizing most of my answers were no, I'm assuming I don't need a stack just yet. I currently have a lousy Kustom 10 watt practice amp that I've been using in band practice lately. Its not that great at battling the sound of two guitars and a drumset. So can anyone recommend a good combo? I believe my budget is 300. (Actually...my mom's budget):D

14. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I may be way off bass on this ... ugh :rolleyes: ... but I think lower end keyboard combos can be better bargains than lower end bass combos. Maybe a Roland KC-100 (60 watts with a 12" woofer and a tweeter)? They go for about $300...

15. I think you're smoking something. For less than that, I'd get an Ampeg BA-112.

16. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    :p

Ampeg is always a good option, to be sure.

17. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Mark, I've used 15's for years but have heard nice things about 410 and 210 cabinets. What kind of difference would there be with two 210 cabinets compared to a single 210 with a 15 under it? How would the Avator 210 sound with a Bag End S15D? The Avator 15 is only one pound heavier than the Bag End.

18. I don't know, I've never played any of those cabs. I just find that a 2x10 or single 15 just doesn't have the ooompf of a 4x10. (okay, I use a 4x8, which is close, but I've played a few 4x10s).

As always, try out a ton of gear before buying, don't take mine or anyone else's advice as fact, and use your ears, and play an actual gig with what you're considering buying first. It's amazing how much different things can be in a gig vs. a bedroom.

Good luck!

19. Currently, I am also a B248 player. When I need more oomph, I have a JBL loaded Sonic 1 X 15" that I add. That having been said, for years I dragged around a head (either a Hartke 3500 or an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro), a 4 X 10" (either a Hartke Transporter or an Ampeg SVT410HE) and either a Carvin 1 X 18" or the Sonic mentioned previously. No matter how you cut it, if you want good sound you're going to have to carry some heavy gear. I like the high-powered combo approach...at least the head and speaker cabinet are all one piece on wheels. Once you add a road case to a head and then carry in a 4 X 10" you're talking 125# or more. Really, if you have a good, high powered combo and a DI you're set for just about every gig you'll ever see! That's my opinion.