Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

to strip, or not to strip?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jan 26, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    so i'm playing my sterling alot now, and i'm really not liking the high polish finish on it - i hate finished basses, but i bought this one before i did :rolleyes:

if i stripped it, would it look like a nice, unfinished alder body? (well...i'd hit it up with some warwick surface finishing wax or something...) or would it look wierd? i'm not really concerned about resale value - it already has a graphite neck and no pickguard and some dents...but it still plays awesome so i'm going to keep it.

or could i buy a new, unfinished body for it from someplace? could warmoth make me a new one (i guess it's the dinky P body, right?) and move everything over?

jason

2. I could be wrong about your case but most basses with a solid finish don't have as nice grain or wood color as the pieces selected for transparents or natural finishes.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Chris is right. Not to mention, with alder you run the risk of having big green mineral streaks in your wood. I believe poplar has the same problem, too. No good!

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm pretty sure the neck swap to a Warmoth body wouldn't work - they use a standard Fender-style pocket.

Why not leave it as it is, and build a second all-Warmoth bass in the style of a Sterling? An ash Dinky P body with MM pickup and a J neck, maybe? That way you get a new toy out of the deal!