Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

to tat. or not to tattoo?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by furiously funky, Aug 9, 2003.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    easy enough, should i get a small tattoo on my leg where it will only be seen with shorts or should i not get one. why or why not either way?
    whe you see old people there tattoos look sick. even 50 year old people with em they are all green and blurry. will mine look lake a greem blob in 35 years? or was it inferior technology in the industry back in the day or what?
    P.S. i dont know anything about tattoos other than the whole ink needle bit. so please spell it out.
    thanks for your help.
    im just think ing about getting one so i still have an open mind :)

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Skip the tattoo. Use your money to buy cool Bass Stuff.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Why not get a tattoo of a freckle on your leg?

4. Tattoos look horrible when you get old because the skin has been streched throughout the years. It's universal with tattoos, there's no way getting around it.

If you really want a tattoo get one that'll fade out in a few years, I think they normally last for five years. If you still like it then, get a permanent one.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Nowadays it seems that everybody and his mother (literally!!) is tattoed.
    So you can stand out just by not being tattoed, and save money!

I haven't seen a decent motive in years...

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I say do what you want... you can't really listen to what anyone tries to tell you what to do when it comes to getting tattoed... people have varying opinions baised on how they feel.. and some folks are very opposed to the Idea.. me personally.. I have one.. but I don't suggest getting a tattoo to people.. its not for everyone... its something I wanted. I didn't get it for everyone else to like or dislike..

7. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Just make sure that it's something that you want on your body for life. In other words, getting, say "MuDvAyNe RuLz" or the name of your current significant other may be cool now, but in 5-10 years, you will most likely be kicking yourself...

8. Sure but I need to pick up chicks NOW, not when I'm 50 or 60 - that aint all that shrivels at that age :D

Seriously, I'm married I don't pick up chicks anymore. I have two tats, one I got when I was 19, and one I got a month and a half ago. Its a family crest, a tribute to my father who passed away. The first one isnt a custom piece (its a skull dude), and I don't like it as much. So I say, do what you like, but get a custom piece - you may pay a bit more, but at least you won't get something generic, like all the tribal tattoo crap that ppl get nowadays.

9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    then its not for you. seriously. your body, your money, your decision.

just remember: herpes and tattoos are for life...

:eek:

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i have 2 tattoos, one of which is my bands logo on my calf. i thought long and hard about doing that one, about a half an hour - and decided i had enough investment in this band (and 2 full length cds at the time) to be proud enough to consider it a really significant part of my life. i haven't regretted it in the 3 yrs i have it, and i don't forsee myself regretting it in the future. my only regret came when the guy started to do the work - i'm not into the whole pain thing, and it hurt. a lot. the guy doing it was getting off on the fact that i wasn't enjoying it and colored the whole thing in with the single needle too. they usually color with a multi needle needle head which for some reason doesn't hurt as much. the one on my arm just kinda stung a little.

someone once suggested if i wanted a tattoo to wait a year and see if i still wanted it. i took that suggestion before getting my first tattoo and i was glad i did. i wanted one of those arm band things, and a year later everyone in the world had one. i think they look kinda lame and dated now. i'm soooooooooo happy i didn't get one.

as someone else mentioned, i think its a good idea to be original and not go with anything trendy. i know guys who have bigtime tribal stuff all over their bodies, and it looked really cool in the nineties, might still look a little cool now - but 10/20 yrs down the line, i've a feeling it's gonna look pretty dated. and everyone's gonna know yer age :D .

11. That's long?

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    perhaps i should have put this :) after the half hour statement.

actually i had been toying with the idea for about 6 months. my girlfriend and i were on vacation and we decided we wanted to get tattoos as a souvenier. there was nothing there i liked, i happened to have a Nerve flyer with me - and said screw it, i'm doin it.

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've been told that the green blob syndrome is worse the more sunlight you get on it. Apparently it helps to apply vitamin e occasionally. I don't know how true it is...........

14. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    <BR><BR>That's true. Sunlight is what turns tatts green. If you get one then always cover it in sunblock when you are outside. Pretty much anything that's good for your skin is good for your tatts as well so the vitamin e is probably not a bad idea.<BR><BR>As pretty much everyone else has said as well: think long and hard about the reasons you want one and make sure it's something that's significant to you. Otherwise you will almost certainly regret it. <br><BR>If you do get it, make sure to post pics :D

15. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Not.

And no piercings either except for possibly the ears.

But that's just my opinion. I don't mind if others feel differently.

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

One of the mian reasons for tattoos blurring is this! Exposure to sunlight affects the pigment, your skin and the collogen (sp?) where a lot of thr ink is. This causes the ink to leach into surrounding areas, tanned skin causes the colours to change slightly.

I generally use a really high factor 35 or a complete sunblock on my tattoos. Sometimes I end up with a white 'halo' round them as the higher factor ends up on some surrounding skin. Doesn't bother me as it keeps my tattoos looking pretty fresh! I guess eventually they will blur slightly, but if you look after them there's no reason why they won't still look fresh in 30 years!

As to should you get one, think about it long and hard. I was 28 when I got my first, had thought about it for 4 years! I have 4 now....

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I've been thinking of getting one for two years now, I just can't find a design I'm satisfied with. I have some ideas in mind though, perhaps I should take 'em to some tattoo artist..

18. There are many factors in how a tattoo will last. The skill of the artist to put the ink to the right depth (many run too much needle and go too deep, these are the ones you see that the ink seeps into surrounding skin and the lines turn to scar tissue), the quality of the ink (a toothpaste and ash prison tattoo will turn green very quickly...), the type of skin you have and how you care for the tattoo.

As many have mentioned, sunlight is not a tattoo's friend. This is especially true for the first few weeks (healing time). Chlorinated pools and hottubs are bad ideas (for the tattoo, but also for you as a person with an open wound (the tattoo)). After it heals, the more you tan the area of the tattoo, the more the color will fade out and the outlines potentially blur. Heck, using the wrong ointment during healing can have negative affects on the long term quality of the tattoo.

If you do choose to get one, take the time to carefully select the artist and shop. They should use new needles for every tattoo (the better ones will burn the needles off the bars while the customer is still there to watch), have a functioning and tested autoclave that is properly used for all needles (and tongs for piercing, etc), follow strict sanitary proceedures , etc. Going in to all the reasons would make for too long a post, but this is all important for your health and the quality of the work.

I spent time apprenticing and then a few years as a body artist (tattoo and piercing), so have some clue as to what I am speaking of...

19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I know I've said this before, but if you decide to get a tattoo, break down and get it professionally done. I've seen so much crap work that people have from their friends at parties. I've seen tatts done by people who didn't even know what ink to use, (one had used computer printer ink!!!) and then the ink bled out leaving some nasty scars. Also, you have to consider that most of those people don't have sterlized equipment.

Another thing I would like to mention that Delorean said is about ointment. Many people get ink done and then don't take care of it. I find that udder cream works great.

Also, where you get the tatt is important. You mentioned on your leg, which is cool. All of my tatts begin an inch above my wrist. I had a very professional job as an IT tech and will be attending school in a year for psychology. My tattoos have never been a factor because covering them up is as easy as putting on a long sleeve shirt. I personally don't think someone having ink should be an issue in society, but unfortunatly it is so you do have to look at things realistically.

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im gonna have to speak up about the sun and tattoos.

I was told by the guy who did mine in Texas by Lackland AFB. (Dons Tattoo Studio) or something similiar to that. I just remember his name was Don.

The sun is worst for a tat within the 1st few weeks after getting one. Its not good for them in the long run of things either. But the better quality ink the artist uses, the longer the tattoo will last.

He wasnt kidding. Ive got mine when I was 19 and am now 33. (14 years) I live in Florida which is known for sunshine and heat etc. The man wasnt lying. My tattoos still look in great shape. Yes they've faded a little bit, but I know people who have had tats for only 2 years and they look absolutly horrible from sunfade.

I went to get a touch up job just to have some white areas shaded back in and even the artist there said and I quote "they look great for a tat that old, why waste your money" then made the same comment that Don did to me 14 years ago about using quality ink.

Think long and hard before you get one. If you can so much as think of one reason why you shouldnt then dont!! Youll wind up regretting it in the future. I cant stress the importance of that enough.

Also be very very choosy, shop around, seek out others who have tats. Find out how old the tats are too) where they got it, etc. Repeat process until you find an artist that you feel does good compentent work.

Not that you need to be told this but really scrutanize the place for cleanliness, sanitation type stuff, etc etc.

I used neosporin on all of mine after I got them, IMO it works great at fighting off any infection. Makes the tat look nice n shiney too.