Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To the Jazz Guys: which Real (Fake) Book do you use most?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Aug 27, 2000.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    There are many fake Books on the Market, from various publisheng companies, like the Sher Official Real Book, but any time I have a gig, I find that the only one I need is the "illegal" one, the one with no publishing company or anything. Anyone out there use a different Fake book?

Will C.:cool:

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    errr...what's a Fake book?

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    BW-
    I have the first 3 Sher LEGAL Real Books + the Sher LEGAL Latin Real Book; IMO, the first one is "best"; nos. 2 & 3 contain some Pop(like Motown, Jarreau, Benson, etc). The Latin one is hot, too. IMO(again), they're the best out there...
    BTW-Make sure you get the "C Version".

A "Fake Book" is a non-legal book of tunes/standards that contains just enough info to allow one to "fake" their way through the tune in a pinch. The changes are seldom "real". :D

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  5. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    The only one I use is the illegal one as well...you just can't NOT use it...it's become the standard one...

-GM

6. [The thing to understand is that, for a jazz musician, the chords on the page are one possible set of choices for any given tune and that the soloist is generally gonna determine the harmonic direction. And even though the chart says Eb7b13, that may NOT be what you wanna play every time through the chorus.
    And please, don't use it as a crutch. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well Said, Ed. While I must admit I own all the Chuck Sher books,AND the 1st and Second real Books,I use them to memorize the form and changes so I don't have to carry them all around to gigs. I can remember being good-naturedly chastised when I was playing at the village corner in New york-"Put that thing away! Use your ears,Man!"
    And you'd be amazed at how much better you can play when you are Listening to everybody instead of burying your face in that book.(you can also get a better look at that girl at the end of the bar...)

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I own mostly the same books that JimK does, but have very rarely used them for gigs. The band I'm in has played a few tunes from "The Latin Real Book" though, which has got some good arrangements and to me has more "meat" than the others.

In the UK, you very rarely see the illegal versions mentioned and anyway I have never seen a pro Jazz player using any sort of fake book at a gig. I go to Jazz gigs at least once week and if the sort of standards that are in the fake books do get played, it is always from memory. This is one of the reason why I don't think I'll ever be able to count myself as a Jazz player as such - I don't have enough familiarity with standards to be able to remember enough of them, as I started Jazz very late.