To the music store employees...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nicoli, Sep 2, 2004.

1. I have a job interview tomorrow with Long & McQuades for a P.A. and recording gear sales position. I'll also likely push my knowledge of bass gear during the interview to show I can contribute in other areas too.

Anyway, just wondering what sorts of things you'd want to hear out of me if you were interviewing prospective employees for your store? Any insight would be appreciated to get a leg up on my competition.
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    If they asked anything regarding a brand they carry... or model, bust out specifics about it.
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Speaking from the management chair (well, assistant manager):

Be attentive, catch details of questions from the interviewer, be thorough but brief in answering, friendly but not fawning, deferential but not kowtowing, show confidence without it becoming arrogance.

Knowing details about everything they sell is not going to get you the gig, they don't, or at least shouldn't expect you to know that going in. It will be part of the training after you get the job to know that stuff. What you need to show them to GET the gig is the right personality and attitude.

Good luck, and have a positive attitude - that's the BIGGEST piece of advice I can give.
  4. Well that was the shortest interview of my entire life, I think I only got asked about 3 questions:

What are you doing right now?
    What are your long term goals?
    What do you know about recording software?

Other than that he basically said I was the best candidate so far based on my background knowledge and the fact I didn't annoy him. He has one more interview tomorrow, I'll know by next Wed. if I got it or not.

It's not a commission based store, so I'm very happy to hear their focus is more on customer service than pushing for sales. I'm also likely going to spend a lot of time in the bass department if I get the job if it gets busy over in that section.

And most importantly, I will get to bring home gear to demo and get familiar with :D

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it. Now the wait begins...
  5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Geez, dude. Next time you need some advice, ask for it more than one day in advance. I would have helped you out, but now I'm just stuck posting for no reason.

So I guess I'll just have to do this:

7. Well, finally got an email back from the store manager last night...

"Hi Nick, sorry I did not get back to you today, we were swamped here. Unfortunately my headoffice has decided to hire the employee who moved from Burlington to Ottawa, not necessarily my first choice but it's a company policy. However, you will remain at the top of my list as potential employee's. Should anything come up in the future I will let you know."

Damn the man! :( :spit:

On the other hand, I picked up my first paying studio gig starting on Sunday, so I guess the week hasn't been all bad. It's back to being a starving musician I guess.
  8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Looks like you lucked out. If you want to lose all interest in making music, work in a music store for a few months. ;)
  9. I already have music as my day job so I know what you're saying... It's both awesome and horrible at times. :)

And yah, good idea, I guess I'll keep asking him if he has any openings for me every couple months.