Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To those of you who are married:

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Josh McNutt, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. No

31 vote(s)
    66.0%
  1. Josh McNutt

Josh McNutt Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    Denton, Texas (UNT)
    Is your spouse a musician/singer/someone who does something music-related? I was wondering because at least three of the musicians I know are married to people whom are either musicians or singers. Don't vote if you're not married.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui

No. Thank God.

3. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    That's not just a no; she's completely tone-deaf! One less critic to deal with, I suppose.

4. In one of my San Francisco periods, I was working a gig with a well known guitarist and an equally well know drummer. We were all involved with Lady musicians and during a break, we were comisserating about being involed with not real good Lady players. After a pregnant pause the drummer said: "Oh well. love is deaf!"

5. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I am a drummer, and I married a violinist, so we only have one musician in the family (rimshot!).

Thank you folks, I'll be here all week.

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    My wife is a superb soprano with perfect pitch, also plays piano.

Her entire family are trained musicians.
    My father in law is a professional choir director and plays guitar.
    My mother in law was also a professional choir director in San Francisco and plays piano.

Many musicians on my side of the family as well.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    My wife is a very talented Dobro player /songwriter though when we met in college she was a modern dancer.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Roger that.

My first wife was a violinist. The second time around, I married a sociologist. After having experienced both sides of this issue, I can definitely say I am highly in favor of seperation of church and state.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    ah, that's funny Zelda...

10. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    One of my many ex-wives has been the harmonica player/vocalist with the Righteous Bros. (well, Bro. now)for ten years.

11. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Mine is not, but she's enthralled by music and is becoming a very competent sound tech. Much, much handier than having her on the band stand with me.

12. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    My wife is a singer, songwriter, pianist.
    Our first meeting was when she auditioned me. (I got the gig).

Previous affairs with non-musicians always ended due to religious differences. I was broke, and they worshipped money.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Cool story.

My lady is not a musician.

14. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    For a number of years, off and on, I dated a Girl Singer who had some pretty high profile gigs, including a tour with Benny Goodman in his later years. She used to regularly show up in my life after enough time had passed that I'd forgotten why I ran away the last time ;-)

15. SleeperMan2000

SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC
    Would musician spouses be more ok with spending 10K on a bass?

My non-musician wife can't fathom such a purchase.

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    my musician wife cannot fathom it either !

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    My non-musician wife is totally cool with all my purchases.

That will no doubt change drastically when I stop getting work. :meh:

18. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I wanted to buy myself a new car this year, but my wife wanted to keep her violin instead. :bag:

19. I was just about to start a thread on whether your other half (not necesary spouse) enjoy the same type of music as you do. But guess the implication is almost the same! :p

20. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    My wife has a degree in Violin (music ed.) and teaching high school choir. She always pissed me off b/c she plays two instruments (Flute and Violin) and sings at a collegiate level and I only have one (Double Bass), BUT I get my gigs than she does.