To those thinking of buying a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonohmic, Apr 15, 2017.

1. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    It has disappeared from the Fender/Squier website, but they are still in stock on Musicians Friend/GC etc..

Not sure what that means exactly, but you might want to pull the trigger now.

Fender has a history of discontinuing these great value basses.

2. Halabja

Halabja

Jul 16, 2011
    CT
    I wonder if they are doing a full discontinue, or are introducing a new color.

Hopefully the later as I've wanted one in Inca Silver for some time, but would settle for another color if need be.

3. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    They used to have oly whit iirc, but they discontinued that one in favor of inca silver.

Bread Knife likes this.
  4. Halabja

Halabja

Jul 16, 2011
    CT
    Yup you are correct!

I'm hoping maybe this is just a reintroduction. I don't have numbers to back up my claim, but I always assumed the CV's were a huge success. It would seem silly to cease the production of something that appears to be working out well. Even if it is just a single model in the line of products.

5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I'd be really surprised if they phased out the CV JBs. They've been a huge success and a big source of revenue. And apparently they can sell them in any quantity they want to, so it makes no business sense whatsoever to disrupt that home run.

IMG_2482.PNG

6. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    They did it with the Matt Freeman sig, which was selling well.

Anyways, just a heads up!

7. Halabja

Halabja

Jul 16, 2011
    CT
    This puts me in a weird conundrum haha.

I just made a bass purchase lastnight, but I don't really wanna miss out on getting my hand on one of these. The problem lies in the fact that it's tax season and I'm kind of waiting on seeing what kind of money I'm going to owe.

Ahhh the exceptional timing!

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

To play Devil's Advocate, it's possible Fender did a website update and it didn't upload the CV-J's yet. I say this 'cuz I've had a very tumultuous relationship with their American website, especially when they do a full-on overhaul. On the other hand, it is quite possible they're about to unveil yet another style-update to the CV-J's. After all, there have been other finishes that were usually only available outside the U.S. Specifically, a black and an even rarer red model

As of this moment, I'm only seeing the '50s and '70s CV-P's on the Fender website. This could mean the series hasn't been discontinued, but I'm gonna put my money on "liquidating the last of their stock".

Funny thing, though…I noticed something else. There are no Artist Series models either. This has me thinking there may be a big unveiling of new models and endorsements right around the corner.

If it is the end of the Classic Vibe Jazzes and/or series, that'll be sad. I've been impressed by their quality for some time and have gleefully sang their praises here on TB. :crying:

lowdownthump likes this.
  9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I'm still scratching my head over them discontinuing the Classic Vibe 60's Precision and Matt Freeman .

I hope this isn't the end of the Classic Vibe series. But I can't really imagine what a Classic Vibe 80's series bass would be.

10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Pointy…very, very pointy. o_O

squier-katana-bass-208544-jpg.jpg

11. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    It makes no business sense UNLESS the CV sales are believed to be reducing sales of Fender Js.

12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

In theory. But I think Squier is catering to an entirely different demographic.

Anybody in the market to have Fender on their headstock isn't going to be looking at Squiers. And if a new MIA or MIM is too expensive, they'll shop used.

According to a GC manager I spoke to, Fender PBs and JBs continue to sell at the same rate they always have. And that's despite the fact Squier sales are booming. So I don't think Squier is stealing any business. Quite the contrary. It's feeding Fender's coffers such that they don't have to discount their main product lines thanks to the cash flow Squier is creating.

13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The Fender website isn't a reliable source of information.

14. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    The CV line OUGHT to be impacting MIM sales. They're that good. But, I agree, the vanity factor plays into this quite a bit.

lowdownthump likes this.
  15. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I have the CV James Johnston model Squier. It by far is Squier's best bass. I'll even go as far to say it's better then my MIM Fender which I sold. It would be a real shame for Fender to discontinue this. I would like to see some new colors and maybe even some without pickguards. Some matching head stocks would be nice too.

lowdownthump likes this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Got both MIM and CVs and I'll agree the Vibes definitely hold their own against their more famous siblings.

lowdownthump and bordinco90 like this.
  17. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Yeah I noticed that they are not on the Sweetwater website as well. I called and talked to a sales rep for Sweetwater and he said that they were discontinued. They do have some CV 70s P Basses in stock. I hope they don't get rid of the CV series! They are so much better than the MIMs IMO.

lowdownthump likes this.
  18. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  19. edencab likes this.
  20. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I don't think fender would discontinued the CV series. I wish the CV jazz come with sexy surf green with matching colour headstock.
    I own CV 60p in Fiesta red and CV 50p in white blonde currently, and own CV 60j in olym white previously. If I can get the third CV, I must shot the Mattfreeman P (vintage white )with no reason.
    I am Die_hard P guys.

lowdownthump likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021