1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To those who don't get, appreciate, or even [gasp] hate Jaco

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DeaconBlues09, Mar 3, 2016.

1. First: I love 60 percent of Jaco's music with 110 percent of my heart. 10 percent of his stuff I personally can't stand

Second: I don't like Portrait of Tracy.

Now, what do you non-likers or haters think of this song? What of the transition beginning at approx 50 seconds in? I used this track as a legal drug to blow my mind with for months! (that frikkin tone at 1:56!!)

I'm curious to hear your impressions

Please listen with headphones if at all possible

And also, don't feel compelled to respond if you haven't listened to the whole thing through...

2. Yup Jaco was an amazingly creative player, I just dislike his tone most of the time, but that is me because as for most of us it isn't what I hear in my head as to being "the tone" on some songs it was a little better, but it was usually just to thin sounding for my liking.

lowdownthump likes this.
  3. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm a jazz hater. I don't get it. I respect Jaco though.

The transition itself is cool. I like jazz if I only have to listen to a few seconds of it. But to my ear the chord progressions are not smooth and do not flow. I'm all for using complex chords and getting technical. But IMO jazz (generally) just doesn't "move" in a coherent and followable manner. It's jerky and chaotic and seems to ignore the emotional content that the different chords and modes and movements imply.

Music is a language and jazz sounds like speaking-in-tongues mixed with scat and good old fashioned insane gibberish to me.

I WANT to understand it though. Believe me.
    Educate me if you can.

Thisguy, A. D. Fairhurst and andruca like this.
  4. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Very nice! When I think of fretless tone that's what I hear in my head. Amazing playing on that track. Jaco seemed to me to be a horn player trapped in a bass player. Thanks for sharing that song.

5. Thank you for being so open-minded with your request :thumbsup: (I mean that seriously)

It got my kids to feed and "process" right now, and I'm at the threshold of an extended weekend with them. But I will try to narrate a breakdown of just what's going on (in emotional-non technical vernacular) as soon as I get the chance.

6. "Horn player trapped in a bass player." That, good Sir, is a very astute and musically perceptive hammer with which you hit a healthy chunk amongst Jaco's myriad nails smack on the head. :smug:

R.E.S.P.E.C.T...

lowdownthump, TMARK and alembicguy like this.
  7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Its cool but not my kind of bass playing at all.

Billyzoom likes this.
  8. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    I digs me some Punk Jazz.

9. Jefff

Jefff

Aug 14, 2013
    Chicago
    We need more Jaco threads.

Thisguy likes this.
  10. I like Jaco's playing and tone.

I just don't care for most of the music he did that playing on. Just isn't my thing.

StayLow likes this.
  11. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Much respect for Jaco but I can't listen to his stuff for more than 20 seconds before I get bored. It's not him, it's the post '66 Jazz genre. Jazz was a creature of Modernism and when Modernism died Jazz became rootless. In my opinion only!

But again, Jaco gets Respek.

andruca and Sartori like this.
  12. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

I can respect someone's ability and still not like what they do with it. The two are not mutually exclusive. I feel much the same way about Major League Baseball. Just not my cup of tea.

Thisguy, Sartori and TMARK like this.
  13. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Vomit inducing. Couldn't get through all of it if you paid me. Dislike that "style" and I don't find his technique nor even his tone interesting. If that's what you like, then good for you. I'm sure my interests aren't your cup of tea either.

andruca likes this.
  14. Hmmm, I'm curious. What would those interests be?

fantasticplanet likes this.
  15. One of my favourite Jaco tracks... from the album "Invitation".... Reza/Giant Steps/Reza
    here are some of the things I enjoy in this recording.

- The basic groove at the start..... the fretless growl.. hell yes.
    - @ 1:29 - 1:34 he is playing staccato... then drops that descending slide double stop over it. Glorious.
    - @ 1:42 - 1:48 trumpet quoting Flight of the Bumblebee.. LOL
    - @ 1:50 - 2:06 trumpet quoting Caravan
    - @ 4 :26 Trombone comes in with bass, playing main bass groove.
    - @ 4:46 the dissonant harmony of the woodwinds playing of the main groove over the rhythm section .. then busting into a steel drum playing a bridge section melody that is very cool. (this melody comes up at the end of the tune in a glorious finish.)
    - @ 6:25 when they morph into Giant Steps... and Jaco starts walking. The steel drum playing the head.. and then busting a note for note transcription of the Coltrane solo. Incredible.
    -@ 8:46 when they return to Reza... and the wailing line Jaco plays leading into the main groove again..... then the horns... all building to that previous bridge melody I mentioned before... with the whole band playing it in unison now..... and finally jaco and band with a large crescendo trumpeting finish. Just bloody Brilliant.

JimK and DeaconBlues09 like this.
  16. I just want to also mention the incredible stamina displayed in that tune by Jaco and Peter Erskine.

Garret Graves, JimK and DeaconBlues09 like this.
  17. fantasticplanet

fantasticplanet

Oct 14, 2013
    seattle
    if someone has to educate you for you appreciate it, you probably won't ever like it. not that that's a bad thing. i think whether or not you like any givem music is based on emotion, and you can't convince someone to experience a certain emotion. convincing someone to like something is pointless, they just have to like it. i totally agree with your language metaphor, and the way you described jazz is pretty much the reason i like it. but i would say about the emotional content thing that in my opinon, jazz is the only music that runs entirely on emotional content. i'm saying you're wrong or whatever, it's totally subjective. also, given that anything from louis armstrong to john zorn to robert glasper falls within the jazz category for most people, so i think the whole thing about the chord progressions not flowing is as big of a generalization as you could possibly make. like listen to a tune like body and soul or stardust. to my ear, if those two chord progressions don't flow, than what does? what are some examples of songs with chord progressions that you think are smooth and flow well?

StayLow likes this.
  18. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    Agreed!

I have never liked Jaco. He's massively impressive, but I don't listen to music to marvel at the heights of skill, I listen to it to be moved on a more emotional or visceral level. To me, Jaco has more of an intellectual appeal.

As far as jazz goes, I am a jazz nut, but only for the stuff up to and including some early bop. It was dance/pop music, nobody's dancing to Weather Report.

Sartori and alembicguy like this.
  19. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Almost all classical music flows well.

andruca likes this.
  20. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    do we need a second thread about that subject so soon ?

Tanner5382 likes this.