1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To those who have converted a 4-string P-Bass to a 5 string, what bridge did you use?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by amadden, Aug 23, 2012.

1. amadden

amadden

Nov 25, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm thinking about doing it to a project bass of mine, just for fun. Doing everything to make the switch (installing new tuner, nut, etc..) is nothing, but I'm not exactly sure what kind of bridge I should be getting... I'm worried about getting one that's way too wide and it wouldn't work out...

I know it can be done though, I've seen plenty of pictures of other people who have done it.

So, any suggestions? Thanks! :)

2. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    I seem to remember a company called Wilkinson (spelling?) used to make a bridge for this exact retrofit purpose. Not sure if they're still available. Ebay's worth a shot.

3. Thurb

Thurb

Jun 19, 2012
    You can always get these and adjust the spacing between theme.

[​IMG]

4. amadden

amadden

Nov 25, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh, I forgot about those! I know exactly what you're talking about. I did come across them before on one of my other attempts to figure this all out... And yeah, they don't seem to make them anymore. And it seems to have been a while since they have too. I have seen a few of them on Ebay every now and then, but unfortunately they were always a bit too expensive for me.

But one of those would be perfect, even though they do look a bit funky:

Attached Files: