1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To those who play 4-strings tuned B-E-A-D.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BrickIsRed, Sep 22, 2008.

1. BrickIsRed

BrickIsRed

Sep 16, 2008
    Do you feel limited without the high G-string?

I want to play songs in B, but I don't want to buy a new 5-string bass. (out of cash after buying a 4-string Warwick)

2. J-D1000

J-D1000

Sep 21, 2008
    Yh dude i tottaly agree. I always play B-E-A-D but its often a nusiance to retune em every time.

3. Nope. I don't have any business playing that high anyway.

4. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    i totally would tune my bass BEAD if i had my own group, but playing jazz and all i really do need that G string to walk up. it really depends on the music i guess. if ur playing rock/metal, go for it. other stuff not so much.

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I feel a lot more "free" without a g-string. Maybe its just me, but...... :ninja: :bag: :D

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Not really(I wank over the low notes way too much when I have 'em), but if you have a 24 fret with full access, you'll have as far as the 19th on a G string, thats pretty much the range of a Fender V, well barring one note.

7. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The waauub-waauubb of that 4-string tuned B string is intoxicating.. just nasty. It works just fine if you're good at moving down that D for the higher notes with good speed, or you're just playing nasty deep grooves and won't even touch the D!

8. I only miss a high G-string if I'm slapping and playing in A - it makes hitting the octave akward (5th fret on E-string and 7th fret on D string rather than open A and 2nd fret G-string) but other than that, nope.

9. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    I think it depends what style you're playing. I ended up being in stupidly low tunings when I was in a thrash metal band! Even when playing softer songs in other bands I came up with basslines in terms of the new tuning as opposed to "oh damn...where's that G string" - then again i was rather hooked on Audioslave at the time, and Mr Commerford has most of his fenders in BEAD.

I supposed it just takes some getting used to being that low?

10. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah, I tune A#,F,A#,D# and I don't miss the high notes at all. I almost never use that high string anyways.

11. Kevindm215

Kevindm215

May 19, 2008
    i wana get a 4 string but tune it BEAD, wud a normal 4 string pickup sound ok for this? or are there special kind of pick ups? if so, what are they??

12. A normal pickup is fine.

13. I have a 5-string for those occasions, but my beater is a 4-string stringed up in BEAD ..

D.Don

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I tried normal tuning, E flat, DGCF, and BEAD ...

I finaly ended up with BEADG ...

15. To All,
    Do any of you use a different gauge strings for tuning B-E-A-D? Such as a heavy guage or go to a five string set for the low B. Enlighten me on your preferences.

16. Indeed, I bought a 5 set and ditched the G-string (that is always a funny word to use), nut had to be remade, and I had to file just a lil on the bridge too to get the B string to get through the "E" slot.

D.Don

17. Yes, I use a 5-string set without the G. My opinion: there's no other way to do it*, unless you're the kind of guy who uses a .85 for his E string already.

* Except buying single strings in the appropriate gauges or buying a set meant for BEAD tuning, obviously.

18. I keep thinking I should do this on my Stu Hamm Urge II bass. I'll only be out a nut if I don't like it. And I want the low B bad.

19. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Thats how its done, my No.1 is set up this way recently, and I love it, though I prefer flats for BEAD, or 5 strings, so I'll have to get a set soon.

20. I use halfs (d'addario) ...

;)

Will change to labella flats next time... Jamerson and a .130 B ...

hehe

D.Don