1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To those whom pick...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Infern0, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Pick

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. Fingers

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  3. Both

27 vote(s)
    60.0%
  4. Other (?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infern0

Infern0

May 13, 2007
    I simply don't understand your decision. Why? Please do explain without mentioning any speed factor.

I have now heard verdicts of various pickers and now am not biased. Sorry for the attack!

2. tone.
    On some songs I want that sharp attack, on some I want a smoother sound. So I pick sometimes, and do fingerstyle the rest.

3. Infern0

Infern0

May 13, 2007
    Ok, so for the clangy sound? Whenever I need that, I play like Steve Harris. But it sheds some light.

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Good grief... :rolleyes:

For the crisp, bright, ringing sound. Usually gets less fundamental, but more attack. Very useful and very cool for cutting through in certain kinds of sonically dense situations - IF your technique is up to it...

MM

5. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I don't understand your question. Are you asking one specific person? Because the "those" in your question tends to indicate you're asking a group of people who (WHO!) pick...

;) I hope English isn't your first language... sorry; it's pet-peeve of mine...

Anyway, you said not to mention speed. Well, speed is one reason I pick (I pick with my nail when necessary; I don't use or carry picks). A sharper attack is another reason. It's just another tool in the toolbox.

- Dave

6. SMHP

SMHP

Jan 3, 2007
    San Diego
    everytime the the words pick or fingerstyle come up in a post it should be deleted, its ALWAYS a finger player complaining about pick players.
    why does it matter so much, to be honest you finger players are missing out on a entire different side to your insturment. I (like many pick players) are equally skilled in pick and finger playing, i think this makes us better players because we are not closed into one style
    to be honest i dont think your much of a bass player if you CANT play with a pick, some songs require that bassy sound so use your fingers, some songs would sound awsome with a pick so just grab your pick (oh wait you cant play with one because you dont have the skill yet, that sucks)

sorry just venting im sick of being pushed around because i have the ability to play with a pick and others dont

7. Infern0

Infern0

May 13, 2007
    ;) I hope English isn't your first language... sorry; it's pet-peeve of mine...

Sorry about that man.

I am not complaining at all. Long has it been since I have heard of a fingerstyle bassist also use a pick. I guess it is something I find in the tone that I don't care for. Then again, I use flatwounds...

Sorry if you felt like I attacked you in any way, that was not my intention.

8. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Oh god not another one of these...

As if it hasn't been said a trillion times before, playing with a pick just gives you a different sound and style. Works great for playing Motorhead, not so great for Motown. Which is why being proficient at both fingerstyle and pickstyle is the way to go IMO. And playing with a pick is just way more fun sometimes.

I'm sure you can find some pick playing that you enjoy if you open your mind a bit and stop being an elitist.

9. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Why use fingers? Fingers sound dull, each time you use em you cancel out the ring of the bass, you get a dull listless tone. With a pick you keep every bit of sustain, the crispness is true, you don't get a stacatto sound even with speed picking, it doesn't really cancel out the tone. Picks my flavor, and I think fingers are annoying. if you can pull off playing songs like RATM using pick and left-hand technique and it sounds good then that's more than most fingerstyle players can brag about.

Learn it all man.

ScottCronin likes this.
  10. Infern0

Infern0

May 13, 2007
    I guess everyone has their preference. You hear dull, I hear bassy. I love the absence of treble, it has that beautiful thump to it.

11. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    That's true, but i LOVE middy crunchy sounds. I love bossing my strings around so hard they strike against the frest for a sexy metallic cling.

But yea, I hear bassy too, but fingerstyle is just...uninspired man. It doesn't cut, you can't hear it, I mean you listen to a band and you hear their bass and it's like, that band could do without that bassist because most people hear that bass sound without it being played ( I don't know really what i'm describing but you ever listen to a band and you know EXACTLY what the bassist will play before he even goes to his riff?) I mean it's just so predictable. There's something to pick players, there's a great rush, especially with more effects. I use an RT-20 and Bass Whammy often and with my drummer we just get some sick jams goin man. I never enjoy that with fingerstyle.

By the same token, when I wanna play something akin to Rage (we do a lotta Rage man :D) I may use fingerstyle and slap where appropriate, but I much prefer trying to play em with a pick. There's such a great sound, and you again hear that rushing kinda crunchy sound. Again part of fingerstyle is that dull, non-attack stacatto sound, bugs the crap out of me.

12. Infern0

Infern0

May 13, 2007
    I agree with you now, I was thrown off by the direct attack...

Cutting through, there is nothing better than pick. But to me, it lost that groove sound that I love about bass. Bass has a role to set the rhythm AND chug along with infectious riffs. If pick suits you, thats awesome. Variety is the essence of life. In fact, I might play with a pick in a little while, just to say I did.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So what you're saying between this and your last post is, "Gee, I guess that really was a pointless thing to say"? Thank you for admitting it.

14. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Hey infern0 I saw a post where you recommended using baby powder to eliminate friction on strings, i was wondering if you still recommend it how often would you have to clean the strings? I haven't boiled mine since the beginning of the year, but they rarely need cleanings since pick playing kinda keeps the tone clean.

15. Infern0

Infern0

May 13, 2007
    Yes, it was a post caused by impulse. I went to a conect a few days back with a HORRIBLE picker, so I guess it was stereotypical of me. Sorry.

LowPro: I use baby powder all the time for frictionless playing. You wont have to clean your strings any more than usual. Talcum powder is harmless. When you do clean, I use some alcohol rubbing pads to get some powder out of the fine areas. It works awesome though!

16. JodyLeCompte

JodyLeCompte

Jul 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    I was born with a yellow dunlop glued to my finger.

True story.

I swear...

17. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Heh, im a sucker for 2.0mm dunlop gatorgrips. Things are thick, don't chip, really boss your strings around.

18. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Oh god i hate the sound of a clean bass being picked with a pick. But with distortion its pretty sweet.

I dont use a pick becouse it limits my playing. I like haveing my five built-in natural picks.. Its more groove with fingers.

19. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Ok, first, I'm not trying to stir the pot, just want to throw something in it...
    I love me some Rage too! Interestingly enough though, Commerford never used a pick...or slap! And he only used his middle or ring finger for triplets. He's a big fan of the Jamerson one finger style. Although Commerford did grow his nail out on his middle finger for 'Killing in the Name of' because he said he wanted the brightest sound he could get.

And one more thing I wanted to throw in...when I first started playing I found that my left hand developed much more quicker than I thought it would when I started messing around with a pick. I would do exercises, scales, modes, blah, blah with a pick and it let me concentrate on my left hand. When I set the pick down, I would be able to play REAL greasy-like!

So to answer your question, "Why use a pick?" Well, sometimes you just need a flat head screwdriver...

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I play finger style and I will use a pick on occasion.

Just another tool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.