To those with experience with Lightweight Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FungusHumungous, Aug 15, 2003.

1. For a while now I've been pondering a new stack to get me more tone/power/loudness/versitality out of my bass than my current TNT115 from Peavey.

Because I'm not a pro musician and lack slaves to carry around my **** and injure themselves, I've been seriously considering lightweight cabinet models with neodymium magnets and other back-saving elements.
    I've looked into Ampeg, Epifani, and Genz Benz as contenders for a rig.

Who out there in TB land has played/owned or own a lightweight rig such as the one mentioned above?

What are your experience with the weight, tone, loudness difference when compared to similar ceramic magnet speakers?

2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bump. interesting
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    How much do you consider "lightweight"? under 50LBS? The lightest 410 I've seen (not seen many) is about 70Lbs (tech21) but if you're willing to use 112 cabs, consider aguilar 42 Lbs, avatar 45Lbs, EA 46Lbs.

Avatar will probably be cheapest cost. Aguilar about $400 old-school? sound. and EA more expensive $625 Hi-fi sounding, but good lows.
  4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i see the aggies sell for $250-300 all the time

5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey fungie,

there are LOTS of threads on this already. do a search and you'll see.

i already commented on the ampeg portabass series, here.
  6. thank you

By lightweight cabinets let me clarify-
    Cabinets that are made with the newer neodymium magnets and lightweight construction as opposed to those made with ceramic magnets and normal construction.

Once again my question is Who has played them? Are their tonal differences(good or bad) between these lightweight models and similar yet heavier cermaic magnet'd models?

PS- I'll do a search through the old posts and see what I can find...If there are questions I feel that still need to be answered I shall return to this post.