Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

to those with industry jobs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Sep 14, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    for the folks on here who have jobs working with amp companies or bass makers etc or even labels, studios and what have yous. how did you get them? i went to school for the studio stuff and i cant even find an internship. so for those who are there, please let me know.

2. Where did you go to school? Do they have a placement program? Are you willing to intern with little or no pay initially? Where do you live? Where are you looking for a job? Are there any facilities where you are? Are you willing to relocate and work for little or no money to start? A LOT of questions I know, but these are only a few of these questions you should ask yourself. I started as an intern and learned my craft from guys like Tom Dowd, Al Schmitt, Bill Smith, Russ Kunkle, Rob Eaton, etc etc etc.....

This is typically how you get started in this biz...I got my first real gig engineering because someone else was late to a session and I started it for them. When the guy got there the producer told him I had it under control and he did not need him for the session...I felt REALLY bad but it turned out to be my first big break and my life has never been the same since!! Most succesful people will give you similar stories and as crazy as it sounds this usually what gets you the break you need to move your game up a notch...

You have to put yourself in the path of opportunity and then recognize that opportunity and BE READY to hold on with both hands and take advantage of it....One of the biggest mistakes people make is not putting themselves "out there"...It is not gonna happen unless you make it happen....find a place you WANT to work and then just go there and offer to do anything...that is really the only way to get in and that is still not a guarantee. BE FLEXIBLE...I know several Big Time engineeers who started out cleaning toilets!! Now they have monster homes and drive cars that cost more than some people will make in a lifetime to work everyday...(Not that that is a measurement of success by any means!!)

JUST GO OUT THERE AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!! :D :hyper:

Peace,

T

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i went to the recording workshop. yea i want to move and im willing to work for nothing to start, sure. my only concern is how do i survive in the meantime you know? rent, food and transportation and stuff. im in southern ohio right now, but id really liek to get out, this place is horrible. ive thought about west coast. maybe LA or san fran or seattle. but i dont knwo anyone out there. guess ill just take a risk.

thanks t.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You know how people joke that it's not what you know but who you know? It's no joke.

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    oh i very much believe that. always have.

6. I should point out that you do not necessarily have to move to LA to get work (a LOT of Studios have closed there in recent months as they have in numerous cities)....they key is find a place you want to work and make every effort to get in....I DO NOT recommend that you pack up and just move to a place and hope for the best....that is a recipe for failure. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!! I would strongly suggest you find a place with a vibrant music scene like Austin, Chicago, or Nashville (there are others!) or a place with a vibrant Recording Scene like Miami or Atlanta. I have lived in LA, Nashville, Atlanta (Dunwoody) and Miami (Boca Raton and worked on South Beach). All of these places have different types of music but serve specific genres of music more often than not.

You really need to think about what kind of work you want to do. For instance, if you want to specialize in R&B or Hip Hop, Atlanta would be the appropriate place to go. Another thing to consider is the STYLE of recording that takes place in the area you are interested in. In Nashville it is far more likely that you will record using "older school" techniques, live recording of real musicians in a studio together (not always but more than in most places) There is a LOT you can learn from these guys who still know how to mic up a bunch of musicians and lay it down. In Miami, you will get a bit of that, but more often than not, you will be using sequencers and MIDI based devices with PRO Tools . There is nothing wrong that! Just know that is what you will be getting into. If you want to work with live musicains you will have to go where that type work is being done.

You may also want to take lifestyle into account. Chicago gets REAL cold in the Winter and Atlanta is HOT AS HELL in the Summer!! Miami and LA (I like Miami better) are nice all year and Nashville is a pretty good balance year round. What types of things do you like to do outside of Music. Let all of these things be deciding factors as to where to go. Also keep in mind that there are MANY studios that are busy and working all the time that you have never heard of in paces all over the world. Do some research into the places you think you WANT to LIVE and find a studio or Productin company that you want to work with in THAT area. They key is GET STARTED NOW!! Start from where you are. Do what you can to make it happen where you are! If you feel you have to move, move, but keep in mind that moving may not be an automatic recipe for success!! Good Luck and God Bless.....

Peace,

T

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    any info on seattle or san fran?

yea im looking to do real musicians and less sequencing and things of the like. but id really liek to do it in a rock n roll setting. a lot of the stuff i seem to be listening to these days is a 'traditional' rock band with some sort of synth/keys.

i had thought of atlanta, but took into account that it is more hip hop and r&b. isnt miami more pop and latin type stuff? i hadnt thought of austin. ill look into it. thanks for the help again.

8. Seattle has a good scene, though probably not as goog as it was in its heyday. Still alot of great music and musicians there but a couple of the bigger studios have closed or gone private. Miami is actually a little bit of everything because people really want to work there. A lot of people mix in Miami after tracking somewhere else, so if you want to specialize as a mixer I could not think of a better place to go. San Fransisco is one of my favorite cities in the world and it has a good scene as well. A LOT of Post production and ad work is done there. A different clientelle for the most part than in some of the other areas. San Francisco is a bit more expensive to live than the others too, so keep that in mind. There are several world class facilites there including a couple of fairly new studios.

If you want to do rock, I would lean more toward LA. LA probably has the biggest rock scene on the planet! Keep in mind though that A LOT of people are in LA starving, it is not only the city of dreams, it is also the city of nightmares. I used to see kids who had dreams of making it turning tricks to survive and it was awful. Of course you can see the same thing anywhere else as well.

There is a joke in Nashville that goes "how do you know another good bass player just moved into town? Becasue the pizza guy is at the door!! A lot of truth to that, there are probably more talented people concentrated in Nashville than in ANYPLACE else in the world. I love the city and the people who are there. There is a lot to be said for being in that environment. If you have the skills and the desire, you CAN work. Be patient, be easygoing and don't be a jerk!! If you can get along you can go along. Be ready for the break when it stands in front of you and don't be afraid to LEARN. I have been doing this for going on 30 years and i still keep my mouth shut and my ears open!! EVERYONE can teach you something!!

GET OUT THERE AND DO IT!!

Peace,

T

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    This guy was working as basically a janitor/gofer/whatever in a major studio in the Bay Area, empy the trash, get this out of storage, make coffee, etc. While a major act was recording there he got to know them a bit and they all really liked his attitude and vibe, he made them feel comfortable and welcome. Eventually the situation came-up where they needed a "second" engineer, or assistant. Someone to position things, plug-in this or that, set this rig up etc. He did well, without stepping on any toes he was able to put his engineering knowlege to application and got good results. From this point he was requested by the band for their sessions as an assistant. It didn't matter whether they were mastering, recording, whatever, they just wanted him there. Eventually he was given a bit more room to be creative and make suggestions. He worked hard to familiarize himself with EVERY piece of equipment he could, but more importantly, he dedicated himself to getting the sound and results that the band wanted. The studio "built out" one of their rooms for this band for a MAJOR project and this guy ended being a BIG part of it.
    From janitor to engineer....and it's all true as I remember hearing it.
    Listen to Tommix, be easy to get along with, get your foot in the door and see if you have what it takes!!

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks guys. im gonna look into miami then and LA i guess too. i really enjoying mxing a lot. again, thanks fellows.