1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

to thunder or not

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cowboy jesus, Apr 1, 2006.

1. yo iam thinking of getting epiphone thunder bird but i want to know if iam going in the right path

2. I suggest going out and playing one first, it's a must.

I am personally a Tbird enthusisast and love them, Gibson's and Epi's. Now don't listen to the guys who say Tbirds are all mud, which is NOT true. The Epi's have smaller necks than the Gibsons, sort of inbetween a Pbass and a Jazz bass. Tremendous lows (not called the Thunderbird for nothing) and great highs.

With the strap buttons in the stock positions you will have neck dive, but all you have to do is move it to the neck joint, simple. Tbirds are great basses but are sort of a Love or Hate bass. I'm sure the other Tbird guys will put in their $0.02.

3. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Abuser of Thunderbird Shaped Objects. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I could write a long-winded pro-Thunderbird post here, but Tbirdbassist said it pretty damn good. I love mine, but they're not for everyone.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I love the Tbird shape...

I've yet to play one though.

5. Rocknrolljunkie

Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
    yeah i agree the other replies..you love em or you hate em.
    i own one and i love it. the only thing i hate is the neck dive. all the other things i love :p they look, sound and ARE very rock'n'roll!:bassist: buy one and learn to love it:p

6. i played athe gibson studio 5er at a local store and it was muddy at all liek alot of people say. but when i played the gtoh epi one it was muddy all over and couldnt get a good sound from it.. but i was playing it through a 60 watt hartke combo so i dont know if they actually sound good. The gibson one i played from an ampeg Svt-Cl. I havent try the gibson thunderbird standard but i really want to.. although i think the $1500+ price tag on that bass is too high, but what else can you expect from gibson.

7. Lurk around ebay and go through personal ads if you want a Thunderbird Standard for less than $1500. It's rare to even see a gibson bass these days :scowl: :rollno: . I only know one person outside of TB that owns one and the only Gibson Tbird I've seen besides the one I owned was my friends! I wish Gibson would pay more attention to its low tuned friends...