To tortoiseshell or not to tortoiseshell, that is the question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Feb 7, 2005.

Which one

Poll closed Feb 14, 2005.
  1. Black

36 vote(s)
  2. Red TS

47 vote(s)
  1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a Musicman Sterling. Black/black/maple. I love this color combo, but i have been flirting with the idea of getting a red tortoishell pickguard for it. Im not sure which would look better.

EDIT: Heres a pic [​IMG]
  2. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    You already know how I feel about torting up a bass. DO IT! :hyper:
  3. AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    Doesn't tortoiseshell usually go on lighter colored instruments? I would lean toward the pearloid look for a dark instrument like this, but it's all about what you find appealing.

I think you're likely to hear a wide variety of yea and nay answers. Have you ever seen one of these basses in this color with a tortoiseshell pickguard? If the answer is yes, then you should be able to easily say whether or not it appeals to you.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    tortoiseshell is ALWAYS the right answer :smug:
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes i have seen jazz basses with black/ts and loved them but they had rosewood fingerboards, thinking how itd look with maple..
  6. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I like the black but with a maple board and a black bass, I would put tort on it.
  7. Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say black. I think tortise shell looks best on the lighter colors, or on sunbursts. but a black pearloid would probably look nice too...
  8. stamman5

Aug 10, 2004
    +1 for the tort :bassist:
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Am i the only one who thinks a Cream Pearl pg would look pwn? Would match maple fb ..
  10. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    nice shoes... :p
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    my slippers > you
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im really digging that cream pearl...... I did a bad Ms Paint job on it just for contrast purposes and it looked good..... can anyone do a better job maybe, or just give me input?

TS vs cream pearl.

I think cream pearl would unique and i tihnk it looks great agianst the black.
  13. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I'm normally a huge tort fan, but on that bass, the black/black maple is the CLASSIC Musicman combination. I'd leave it as is.
  14. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    tort would look yucky IMO. I like the bongo pickguards, they have some cool colors.
  15. +1! I'd put white pearloid on there myself. :bag:
  16. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I'd say Tort or purple Mirror....The cream ain't too bad but I'd still go tort.
  17. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Why don't you visit the Ernie Ball website at this link below.

This will take you to the build it yourself page. You click on the features you want, and the bass appears on your monitor as you built it. That way you can see what your instrument will look like before you commit to buying the pickguard.

And yes, go for the Tortoise Shell pickguard. You will need to give the dealer the serial number of your bass when you order it. Ernie Ball require it.

18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ^they barely have any pickguard choices there.
  19. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    You choose..