To Trade or not to Trade?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whitey, May 20, 2002.

1. Whitey

Jan 8, 2002
    Beckley, WV
    I currently have a MIA P Bass Fender. I have been looking at another bass for a little bit and have grown to really want it. I haven't played it extensively, but have played it a little. It sounds good to me. It is an Ibanez SR 405 with a natural finish. It has a P/J combo in the PUP's and by the model number as you can tell is a 5 string. MY P Bass is a 4. Now for the big question. I am not familiar with Ibanez and their quality and want to know if it would be a good trade or would I be stepping down and loosing quality with this particular model? Should I or should I not?
  2. From everything I understand, you will be stepping down in quality a fair amount. MIA Fenders are good quality instruments (I have a MIA Jazz). A friend of mine has the 4-string version of what you are looking at and it sounds pretty good. It's all up to you, though. If you like the tone better, I say go with the Ibanez. I played a really expensive Modulus at Mars that sounded awful and then I played a Cort Curbow that sounded great. I would have bought the Cort long before the Modulus, even though it was lesser quality. It's all about what sound you're looking for. IMO at least.
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I predict that you will kick yourself later.

IMHO keep the P save up for a longer period and get a 5er later.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Words of wisdom.

Fenders hold their value fairly well and there is always a use for a P bass.

If you must part with the Fender, please consider selling it outright and buying your bass of choice. The hastle will save you a significant amount of money. In the deal you are suggesting, I would guess as much as $150.

5. pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    hang on to that p...youll always go back to it no matter how many basses you have
  6. Yeah, Ibanez are cheap and plentiful on Ebay. You could probably get a 405 for much less than $ 300.00 used, if you look around. The Fender was at least twice that, I would bet.
  7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France

If you really think the Ibanez most fits your taste, then go for it.

But I think you should first find a way to try both (the Ibanez and your current P-Bass) in quite similar conditions, preferentially with YOUR amp. Just because that's the real way you're gonna use it.

In most shops, almost all basses sound good. But when you get back home with the one you just picked up, you can easily feel disappointed.

I'd never drop a MIA P-Bass for any Ibanez, but that's only a very personal taste.

Best wishes,
  8. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Keep the MIA P-bass forever.
  9. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    I saw the SR405's new for only $349 on the web today...I think it was Musician's Friend, but it could've been Zzzounds.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  11. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    don't do that!!!