Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

to trem or not to trem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doublemuff216, Aug 5, 2004.

1. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    i always said i'd never make a drastic cosmetic change to a bass...well recently i has an original badass bridge set into the body of my p-bass...it got me thinking that it is infact ok to cut the wood if it improves the sound (*slaps head* DUH!) ...i was hoping i could get some honest opinions on the hipshot bass trem i might consider putting it in one of my basses.

2. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Obviously any mod's to a bass can affect the resale value of the instrument. If you plan on keeping the bass, you believe it will improve the sound/playability, and you know what you're doing (or the works being done by someone who does), I'd say go for it! Keep in mind though that sometimes the same desired results can be acommplished without major mod's to your instrument. For example, recessing the Leo Quan bridge into your bass body could have been avoided by using another high quality bridge with a lower profile.

3. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    does anyone know how well the hipshot trems work...and how the cutting would effect the sound...i'd need the bridge to be the same weight if not heavier than the wood removed plus the old bridge

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Leland Sklar likes em, so that's good testimony!

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I would think it could possibly weaken your fundamental, and perhaps affect your sustain (not that anybody holds notes that long anyway). But it won't necesarily affect it in a bad way. I've got a trem on each bass I have, and I think they sound great. I haven't tried the Hipshot, but typically they make good stuff.