to try out or not to try out

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by cossie, Sep 2, 2005.

1. cossie

Apr 29, 2005

A mate of mine passed on my contact info to a band in my town that are looking for a bass player, my current band is going to be finishing up in December...

this other band does all their own stuff, and they have a female singer...i've never played originals or with a female lead - i've been in several covers bands that played pretty hard rock (and the standard pub songs).

i've always tried to push myself with my playing and always look for a new challenge - i'll play any kind of music i can as its all a learning experience also i _love_ playing live its the best buzz in the world, and while this new band may provide a good opportunity to do both...i may not be 100% on joining them.

their influences are Tori Amos, Alanis, Jem (pretty much all female fronted bands...for obvious reasons) so there is _thing_ of not playing the sort of music i'm more inclined to listen to (QOTSA, Monster Magnet etc)

they've been trying quite hard to find a bass player for quite awhile, and i don't really want to get their hopes up by saying i'll go jam with them and it doesn't work out.

if i'm not 100% into their music, should i just say "i'm not into it, i'm sorry, best of luck with the bass player hunt" or try out for them because its a new and challenging music experience?

i'm gonna take the weekend to think about it,

also, if you hear another band's demo song and think you'd play the bass totally different to how they've recorded it - is that a good or a bad thing?

to me, a song should be something that a whole band vibes on, so if i think differently right off the i on a different vibe? (argh music is so subjective! :meh: )
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I would give it a try. If you really enjoy it (and they like you) you've found a new band. If it goes fairly well but you're not particularly into it, you might still be able to fill in for them from time to time (a chance to play and also a way of expanding your personal list of contacts). If it really doesn't work out, you haven't really lost much time and you can just leave it behind.

My experience has been that working on stuff I didn't like much often gives me a new respect for it so don't let the fact that their 'influences' aren't quite your cup of tea blinker you from a good opportunity.

3. cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    Oh that is definitely true, i am predominantly a "newer" rock/funk bass player and i've played in bands that do a lot of Ac/Dc, which i used to turn my nose up at before thinking "this is just 'A' over and over" but when i listened and tried to replicate Cliff Williams' lines it was quite hard, and i woodshedded on my timing and being able to move beats around but keeping helped me improve enormously.

i think i will give it a shot, i'll spend some time listening to their demo and have it charted so if i meet up with them we could jam it out.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    One of my best gigs right now is playing with a Belgian singer doing acoustic stuff I can't even understand. It's best in the sense that it's pushed me more than most groups I've played with, I get treated wonderfully, and it presently pays the best. :)

I also never feel I'm married to any one particular group. The above doesn't get in the way of my own music with The Nerve!, nor a couple of other bands I'm involved with.

If I might read a bit between the lines of your post, I think this may be a great opportunity to learn to bend a bit, trust other people's instincts about their own music, and play what it is that they'd like you to play. At least at the beginning. I've learned to keep my mouth shut and pretty much do as I'm told. Once they know me, like me, and respect me I'll start offering gentle suggestions. If they're not on the same page, I don't push it. People can be very sensitive about their stuff, especially if they've gotten used to hearing it a certain way over a period of time.

My $.03 .
  5. cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    Joe, thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it.

I wouldn't go in and start changing their songs - i'm aware of how sensitive people can get about songs, one of the first bands i was in the lead singer/guitarist used to come up with his own songs in their entireity - drums, bass, guitar and all vocal parts - while i didn't always like the songs i never really tried to change his parts that much unless i really wasn't that thrilled with them.

I think getting on with the people in a band is the most vital part of it, the band i'm in at the moment, we all get on _so_ well that the hassle of settting up gear, unpacking travelling etc isn't a hassle as its just one big laugh all the time - its fantastic.

I think i'll see if i can arrange a meet up with some of the people from this other band before going to jam with them just to see what their overall plan is/how serious they are about their music and so forth.
  6. bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    +1 to Wulf. If everything is Kosher, but you don't really like the music, you may have some sub gigs from time to time. I can't count all of the auditions I've gone to for bands that I didn't think I'd like. Most of the time, I'm correct, and simply shake hands and pass. Every once in a while, I come across a real gem that I would have never found had I not gone. I actually really enjoy auditions. I get to jam with new folks and new music, and often make new friends or contacts. Worst case scenario: it goes downhill from the second you walk in. Easy enough to put the bass back in the case and go get dinner! ;)