To upgrade or not to upgrade? Part two

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lit311, Aug 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Lit311

Lit311

Jul 6, 2016
    Original thread here:
    To upgrade or not to upgrade. (Peavey Millennium)

After following advice in this thread I thought a simple string change is what I needed. After listening to the bass on recording through in-ear monitors, and on my computer, I realized that the preamp is not getting the sound that I want. It has a rough splatting sound that I cannot eq no matter what I try so I don't know if it is just an active base issue or this particular preamp is just cheap. For those of you new to the party this is in reference to a Peavy Millennium 4 AC bxp. Also, the tone of yhe preamp in general is pretty bland. This bass is all feel, and no tone.

I love the sound of Warwick's and I had the opportunity to recently try a 4-string Corvette the other day. Although it was not the new slim neck model, it didn't feel incredibly awkward which I think was a plus. I am looking at one of the new slim neck models for about $350. It's passive though.

The other thing that I've looked at is a bartolini three band preamp with a push-pull for active and passive mode. I'm also debating changing out all the hardware since people say that as an issue and I have noticed various pieces of Hardware rattling and such. If I did that I would change it from the stock black to Chrome.
    If I choose to upgrade this way with just the preamp I'm looking at less than 250 parts and labor. If I choose to update all the hardware I'm looking right around 250 parts and labor. I don't know how to solder, so I want to have it done right all at once.

My question is will the preamp change the sound that much? Is the sound that I'm hearing unqiue to active basses? I plugged my passive bass bxp
    and I did not hear the same problems.

Some other bases that I've looked at that are just not for me: I looked at various Ibanez models. Honestly I didn't like the pickup or the feel of them but if I'm going to buy a higher-end base I don't want to put money into upgrade anything right now. I've also looked at G&L tribute models the neck was a little thick for me I'm looking for something with a thin neck and I know it's kind of contradictory since I'm looking at Warwicks.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Did you set it up and adjust the pickup height when you changed the strings?

3. Lit311

Lit311

Jul 6, 2016
    I did. Even adjusted the action.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021