1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To upgrade or not..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tulkas, May 8, 2006.

1. Hey people. I'm just needing some opnions about a bass that i got.

Well, it's a Squier P-Bass Afinity in sunburt, the bass has a nice and confortable neck and the wood of the body seems to be great for a squier.

I was thinking about making some changes in the bass, new pickup, pots, tunners, brigde, maybe some other painting "do it yourself" job and many other things...

What would you do? Is it worth to spend all this money and time upgrading this one? Because with some more bucks i get the precision classic 50's, here in europe the bass goes around 600€. And i would need about 250€ at least to put this one pumping.

Feedback apreciatted.

2. malicous

malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If I was in your position I would just buy something different. There are various active Yamaha, Ibanez, and other basses that can be purchased with fairly ok electronics for a very reasonable price. There is also the made in Mexico Fenders, which I think are a great value, if you find one that is good.

3. I play in a band of blues/hard rock, i'm searching for that deep precision tone.. :meh:

4. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Just so you know- a squire will allways be a squire. For awhile I got caught up in trying to make a MIM be a MIA fender, it's really not worth it. I ended up spending more, and now I have the MIA fender. In my exp. the fretting on the squire isn't exactly awesome. But of course eventually you could make you're squire a "mean machine."
    What I would do is go for feel here- play the 50's P, if it FEELS better- it's better for you. But if they feel the same, I'd say go for the squire.

But like I said- in the long run you'll probably eventually spend more on your Squire than you would've on the 50's P.

So i'll say go for the 50's.

5. it depends... are you planning on playing lots of styles of music right now? are you currently gigging and feel like you need something better? if you're just trying to get your playing better i'd say hold off on an upgrade for now and save up for something nice in the future... your bass just needs to suit whatever your needs are.