1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To use the effects loop on my amp, or effects before the amp? Also bass fuzz question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by unbrokenchain, Jan 11, 2017.

1. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    I've been switching back and forth, putting effects pedals before the amp input or running the effects loop from the amp through them.. thinking I like the effects loop better, but which do y'all prefer and why?

Also, I've been using an EH Holy Stain for tremolo and a tad bit of dirt with a volume boost. I like the sound of it a lot, but I realize it's made for guitar. Having never owned a bass-specific fuzz or tremolo pedal, think I'll notice enough difference to warrant getting one? I just want the tiniest bit of grit to it, more interested in the volume boost for solos.

2. I run everything in front because I use a shure glxd pedal wireless. I honestly can't think of any big name bass players that use an effects loop. But I'm also all about experimenting and doing whatever you want.

3. Everything in front always.
    Some guitarists put things like delay or reverb in eff loop but other than that, nah i see no point in it.

4. Don't use the loop unless you have rack effects.

Most tremolos are bass friendly, so don't worry about it.

It is worth trying a bass-friendly or bass-specific dirt pedal, you may find it makes a big difference.

For a volume boost for solos, consider a clean boost pedal as opposed to a dirt pedal per se.

Did I mention don't use the effects loop?

5. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    It depends, for awhile I had all my FX in a loop through my guitar amp. It was very convenient being able to bypass them all and have all my FX ready to be switched on. Once I got a bass amp though I started playing more stereo guitar/ keys and wanted to use my FX for both amps. So now I have my effects chain going into a Boss ME-50 which I use to split the end signal into my guitar & bass amp. This works great for me but the downside is I can only use pedals with good bypasses otherwise I always have some tone sucking going on or some pedals stuck on.

The loop on my guitar amp has an in/ out level control which can be cranked to turn the loop into a boost too, even at relatively even volumes the loop still makes a bit of extra noise though so I like not having to use it for all my FX. Now I just use it as a boost which is cool. So in the end I think it comes down to personal needs.

If I was still just playing mono I would probably have most of my pedals in the loop with a few like a wah in front where they belong.

Also as for the bass FX question, as a guitarist who moved onto bass I have tons of "guitar pedals" and almost all of them work fine with bass. The main things you need to look for is if it cuts bass from the guitar tone. If the pedal retains plenty of low end it will probably work great for both. The main issue I have noticed with some pedals is when they are voiced for guitar for example, they may have less "sweet spots" on bass. This is true for my EHX Riddler which is the guitar version of the Enigma I believe. The Riddler has tons of low end but the useable range for bass is not as wide as guitar or keys. It still works fine and has tons of useable "sweet spots" so I wouldn't ever feel the need to get the bass version. If you just play bass then you would probably prefer it though.

Even my boss ME-50 works fine with bass with most of the effects, never tried the bass version which I imagine works even better but I don't find it necessary.

6. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    If you use an ls-2 to blend a clean line with the dirt you don't need a bass specific pedal, but without blending I wouldn't use a non-bass designed dirt. It might sound OK by yourself but you will get totally lost in the mix. I personally don't use any dirt without a blend.