To wait or not to wait - What 2x10 Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pmaraziti, Mar 18, 2006.

What Combo choice ?

Poll closed Mar 28, 2006.
  1. Nemesis Combo NC210

18 vote(s)
  2. SWR Workingman's 2x10C Combo

10 vote(s)
  3. GK 400 RB-IV/210 Combo

9 vote(s)
  1. pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain

I've ordered at Muscistore, one the the largest European store, a nice Nemesis NC210 more than 3 weeks ago... initially they said 2 weeks before they get it in store, then 3, today ...after three weeks they said it could be a month more... :bawl:

Ok, I'm not going to comment on that and on the time I'm wasting...but I see that I could get a good deal on other equipment in the same price range... guess what now... can you help me ?

The possibilities are:

1. Nemesis Combo NC210 - possibly 1 month more to wait
    2. SWR Workingman's 2x10C Combo - nice deal, it's the old model about to be discontinued in Europe, I read bad press about the horn it comes with...
    3. GK 400 RB-IV/210 Combo - nice as well, but it lacks a headphone jack (useful for late night exercises !)

This is going to be my main rig for house reshearsal and for te time being the only amp for my Fender Jazzbass V... my preferred would be the nemesis...but 1 month ...

The Nemesis
    The SWA Workingman
    The GK

Help please ! A super question for super TBers !

Thanks a lot !

2. instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    im a huge swr supporter. love the sound.

the nemesis, in my opinion. is just a lower brand version of a great thing. they just don't perfor mas well and feed off of the eden name. and i don't liek gk. so, ya.
  3. ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    The nemisis is worth the wait
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What style do you play? I am no big fan of the Nemesis and would go for the GK probabally. The Workingmans is OK, but nothing more.
  5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I own the Nemesis NC-410 and like it a lot. If I had it to do again, however, I would have bought the 2x10 instead. It's more compact and would still do everything I need a small combo to do...

The GK looks very nice. But only you can decide on whether the absence of a headphone jack makes it a deal-breaker. The Nemesis would be a very good choice. If you really want it, then consider this a no-brainer, because the extra month is nothing.

If, a year from now, you're playing some other make/model and realize that you really should have gotten the Nemesis instead, how is the saving of that one month going to help you? You'll have had an extra month of playing an amp that you didn't really prefer anyway...

6. pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    I play pop-rock and some blues... I'd like aslo to play funk and jazz in the future... but if I manage to get into that, I'd not then mind to expand my gear and get a nice head and cabinet (e.g. at that point in time the combo would be not likely be my only rig..)

Thank you , Paolo
  7. pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    You're right ...that what I thought as well but some devil-shop-owner (what a race those people ! :) ) tempted with some other offer... 1 month is nothing in a lifetime !
  8. Definently the Nemesis. its tone is quite close to Eden's i've found.

And instigata, isn't the Workingmans series a cheaper version of the real thing? I've had a Workingmans 4004 and thought it was a very sterile and plain sounding amp.
  9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If you can swing the extra loot, get the eden metro.
    I'm just not an swr guy, though I did use a super redhead for quite a long time.
  10. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    The Eden Metro is my favorite combo, but I have a full size Eden and they are quite a bit extra.
    I can tell you my backup is an NC210 and I really like it.
  11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    While evaluating the GK, bring along a pair of phones. It may be that the Effects Send output provides a sufficient drive signal, and I think there's no danger of damaging the amp.