Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To Warwick or not to Warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Well, I threw my idea of purchasing a beater bass out the window. I also tossed the idea of traveling with a bass. I'm just going to reinvest (hahaha) the proceeds from my bass liquidation into another instrument (5 string!).

I really like my MTD 535, and will never sell it. Sometimes I find that it is just a bit too polite for me. I want something with more of a deep growl to it. I play mostly praise&worship, but love funk and rock styles. I'll be experimenting with jazz, but I'll always have my MTD as well.

I'd love to have a Wal, but I don't have that kind of money. I'm looking for something under $1300 (the lower the better), and I will definitely check out the used market. A field trip to the local GC found me liking a Warwick Corvette standard 5. I tried a few other Warwicks, including a Streamer Stage II and Corvette Jazzman, but I liked the standard a little more. The standard reminded me of my old Thumb NT which I really liked. I dumped the Thumb due to ergonomics....

What else should I look at? If you were choosing a warwick in my price range, which would you choose?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Cant go wrong with the Corvette 5. Its a great bass, great styling and its comfortable. Classic Warwick tone.

3. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Why'd you dump your Corvette? Just curious....

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Never had one. :bag: Just played one at local music shop every day for half my life. heh.

5. My fav warwick is out of production: the Fortress Flashback. They made them in both 4 and 5. They selll used around 600.

However, the I really like the Rock Bass line in the Fortress. They are beautiful in person and feel great. I just don't like the MEC electronics. They come with black hardware and look good.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I love my Thumb NT4 :p... Yes.

7. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I wish thumb was an option, but it's not. I just can't deal with the body shape. So what's the next best thing to a thumb?

Also, no rockbass for me. I'd buy a used german made before I would do that.

I've never had a problem with the MEC stuff, at least not in the streamer pro m or thumb I had. Although, the streamer stage II I played at GC didn't sound all that great. I was, however, playing through a GK w/ tone set flat. I don't know anything about GK, so I left it alone (didn't want to color the bass).

8. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    If you could, please post some sound clips! It would be much appreciated.

9. Since no one has mentioned it yet. Have a look at Warwick's Infinity SN range. They're mighty purrdy! :hyper:

[​IMG]

10. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Dude, look on the for sale board. There's a streamer II for 1500.

11. I have to recommend the FNA Jazzman. It's lighter, balances better, and is so much more diverse than the standard Vette. Not that there's anything wrong with the Vette.

12. I would go with a streamer stage I or II. You should be able to find a used one in your price range pretty easily, and you won't regret it.

13. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Can anyone comment on the Corvette Proline?.
    better tone than the standard Corvette?..no difference?.

14. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My good friend has a blue one. I played it when I didn't have a bass on hand for a show, and it played like a dream. Great bass, great tone, and simply a great value. It's just a more classy corvette.

15. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
  16. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Id stick with the corvette range. IMO, they're the best in the warwick range and just happen to be the cheapest. Cant go wrong with a vette 5er, or if you want a softer warmer tone, go the Vette jazzman FNA

17. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    That's a 4-banger I think. I'm going to stick with 5.

18. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I would expect the standard to be a little darker or deeper sounding, due to the maple on the Proline. I could be wrong though. I didn't try one of those yet.

19. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Jive1 is selling his proline 5 and he's great to deal with :p

20. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'll throw in another vote for the Corvette FNA Jazzman, I have a 5 string one and it SMOKES. Tight B, growly as hell and excellent playability every day, every show.