1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Toasted reviews: DHA VT1 STD BASS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Toasted, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    This is from Dave’s new standard range.

Link! c/o Superduck

This DHA pedal runs on 9-12v. That’s great for normal pedal board applications because now you can run it from your daisy chain. Dave’s put this pedal in a really high quality enclosure (the same brand as Toneczar use). All the parts are of very high quality. Good switches, jacks and pots etc. there’s also a nice touch in 4 drilled holes through which you can see the valve. A blue LED lights up the valve through the holes when the pedal is engaged. Opening the pedal reveals a very classy PCB populated with high grade components. Looking inside the box, I have no idea why Dave is selling this for £58. Legitimately, he could charge double that in my opinion.

As with Dave’s other pedals, the “unusual” aesthetic is preserved. If I was in the driving seat in his company I would do the aesthetics differently. I also respect that this isn’t a big deal to most people and that these are Dave’s pedals and they should look how he wants. Of course, pedals are not designed to look nice they’re designed to effect your sound:

I’ve used this pedal extensively over the few days I have had it. I’ve used it in my personal woodshedding. I’ve used it with a guitarist buddy and I’ve also used it in a full (\m/ metal) band situation. I feel that I know it very well.

This is a low gain overdrive. It goes from a very subtle warming of your tone to doing a fantastic job of nailing that “raging SVT” or the “Jack Bruce” sound very well. That’s not to say that this pedal is limited to making your solid state amps sound like an SVT; it also sounds great pushing a valve amp. This pedal has lots of volume on tap. The boost and bright switches are excellent. I think that a less intelligent pedal design would have the boost channel footswitched. This would not been a good design. The boost channel has a lot more volume than the standard channel. This is not a two channel pedal. The bright switch really brought the unit to life on guitar, although if you’re buying one of these pedals and you’re a guitarist I’m sure that Dave would recommend buying a guitar version.

It can be quite a subtle task to get the gain/ippad/level controls to the settings where your sound and volume are as you want them. This is a good pedal for tweaking. I generally kept the boost switch on, the bright switch off, gain between 3 and 5, the I/P pad fully off and set the level to suit volume.

In summary, this is a good sounding light overdrive pedal. It offers fantastic value for money. It really should cost more than it does.

I hope this review has been helpful. If you have any questions I’ll be happy to answer them. If you think that there is anywhere I could have been clearer please say.

Thanks, Joe.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Very nice review, though the URL contains the ellipsis and doesn't work.

Link!

edit: I understand that "the sound is all that matters", but I would have to say that I am one of the people slightly turned off by the Sharpie graphics!

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    thanks Toasted. His Dual Bass OD pedals always intrigued me.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If an overseas buyer purchases one, does VAT still apply?

If not, then how much #s is subtracted from the posted price?

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Thanks for the review Joe! Could you clarify the bits quoted above a little? I couldn't quite make out what it does or doesn't do with the boost switch. Cheers!

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you mean to the US, which I assume you do, then no. Within Europe, VAT applies.
    typically 17.5%

7. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    you can buy them from his ebay store and i don't think you have to deal with those fees.

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Custom dual channel Bass sounds bleh when both channels are on. But using only 1 channel sounds very nice:smug:

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    When I hit the PayPal link it deducted 10# from the price (the VAT). Price in US$ is $105.

I guess shipping is free?:smug:

10. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    So, that's what, about $120 bucks before we subtract the 17.5%?

EDIT: Syc beat me to it!

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I like it. But I wish Toasty would post clips first. I like the dirty grind of the Dual Custom model. I wonder how close this one can get?

12. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Link? I can't find the store...:meh:

13. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
  14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Thanks Toasty.

15. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    thanks, Toasted! great review.

16. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the info. ;-D

17. hmm, I suppose I have been rather interested in an overdrive pedal lately. And based on descriptions, it seems like this one was made for me.

18. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    yeah sharpie graphics = -1

19. I have Dave's Dual Bass Overdrive/distortion, and a VT-1 Tremolo unit:

Pic2.
    ODtopedge.
    ODbackpanel.

The Dual bass is a truly amazing sounding piece of kit - you can geta anything form that " just breaking up" grit that cuts through so well in aband or recording mix (think of the way the snare has it on "My Guy" by Mary Wells - the old Motown track), right through to full on roar. One of the best features is the "BRIGHT" switch. Unlike most pedals, this isn't a switch that boosts the high end - rather, it introduces the straight sound of the bass into the chain so you can get the grit while still retaining the punch and sparkle of your normal sound - great feature!!

You can also switch between the valve sound, and a Germanium tranny overdrive sound, or a Silicon diode overdrive as well.

The Tremolo unit is amazing too - makes you instrument sound like it has been dipped in a vat of melted bubbling chocolate - really great for high end melodic runs.

20. DHA

DHA Dave Hall Amps

Oct 20, 2005
    Hi all,

Thanks for the interest in my pedals. We have sold a few to the US but not that many as the shipping and exchange rate does tend to be a problem.

So, I am working with a US based company to sell, market, support and manufacture my pedals there. This way it is hoped the cost will be near $=£ not 2x$=£ plus.

I will take a few weeks to arrange so if you are in a hurry you can still buy direct from my website (ask for US price first) or from ebay which I understand removes the VAT. Sorry about the shipping but there is not much I can do about that.

Dave at DHA