1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tobacco Burst...gloss or satin?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by countrybass5, Sep 15, 2018 at 7:59 PM.

1. I will be ordering a tobacco burst bass next month. I was just wondering if you would order tobacco burst glossy or a satin finish.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    GLOSS!!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Tobacco Burst = traditional = gloss.

Pbassmanca and mbelue like this.
  4. Thanks...gloss it is. Actually I've never seen a tobacco burst that was satin...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 1:09 AM
  5. Ahem...

5DE37ACC-9C24-4E48-9834-744392A22C16.

6. Sadowsky has a deluxe satin series with tobacco burst that is amazing, check that out. Usually I would say gloss, but after seeing that one... I'm with satin!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. SlimS

SlimS

May 18, 2015
    Satin! Slightly different and uncommon.:)

CameronJohnson likes this.
  8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Just beware that many satin finishes don't stay that way. Where your hands touch the body (plant your thumb on the body at the pickup, etc.) and where your arm rests on the body will become shiny over time. Just the way many satin-finished necks get shiny after a while.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 6:59 PM
    Pbassmanca, ptensioned, pcake and 2 others like this.
  9. This is very true. I quite enjoy the character that “gloss-wear” brings to a satin instrument though. Maybe I’m weird.

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Depends on the look you want. Traditional is gloss. Satin is if you want a custom, modern look. And you know what they say about custom and re-sale.

11. Generally speaking I agree with you, but the bass I posted above is an off-the-shelf MTD Kingston. All is well!

12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    A number of companies made stock TSB instruments, but what strikes you as more "traditional" - your bass, or a SB gloss finish with pickguard?

13. I should’ve been more clear - I agree with the traditional (gloss) vs modern (satin) thing. I just meant that this particular satin bass isn’t a super expensive custom order so carries less of the steep drop in resale value you described.

14. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    IMO gloss. I could be wrong, but satin seems like a fad. IMO that is.

15. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Gloss all the way

16. That is really nice. That is the first burst satin I've ever seen.

17. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    depends ... do you want your bass to look like a shiny new car ...? or like a actual piece of wood ..??

SlimS and CameronJohnson like this.
  18. That’s more like “autumn-leaves burst”!

19. Eric DK

Eric DK Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    Florida
    Satin. More "natural." Way less polishing; just a proper wipe off. Tobacco is not a "gloss" leaf after aging either. Gloss? Primary colors or black; Buhbam!

CameronJohnson likes this.
  20. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Gloss. I have three basses that are tb's 30+ years old and gloss has imperceptibly aged, keeping a nice newer-looking (and protective, tough surface).