1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tobacco.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lamborghini98, Oct 16, 2006.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    So Ive recently developed a bit of a smoking habit, and am still sort of feeling my way around tobacco products. Ive tried a whole slew of different cigarettes and a few different types of rolling tobacco. Im trying to pick a "favorite" type of tobacco, but Im so lost. I know Newports and other (all?) menthalated cigarettes have some really harsh things in them (like plexiglass), and I know that in general rolling your own cigarettes is worse for you. My lungs arent the greatest lungs out there (I grew up with asthma, so was generally non-athletic but not out of shape. I cant really run a mile...), and I was just curious what cigarettes/rolling tobaccos are better/worse for you? Of course by better Im speaking in purely relativistic terms. What are the things that hurt you the most in cigarettes? What does "light" mean? Is there a difference in how good 100's are as opposed to regulars? Are American Spirits (blech) significantly less toxic?
    Maybe you can come up with some of your own questions.. and subsequently answer them : ) (or just post them. Id like to get some discussion on tobacco going here)

Does anyone know of any studies that were done? I googled some stuff but came up with nothing.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Quit the cigs, and get a good cigar. Don't inhale. Enjoy.

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Well, with the understanding that anything you put in your lungs are bad:

On the occasion that I smoke a cigarette (drunk) I'm a fan of Camel Turkish silvers. They're smooth, but I like the taste of the golds better.

Edit: what trevorus said.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

What he said. I love a good cigar occasionally, but don't start cigarettes. You'll regret it for sure. ANY tobacco you inhale is VERY harmful. I won't say cigars are completely harmless, but when enjoyed in moderation, the risks are minimal.

5. Generally, no cigarette is better than another. In Australia, word's like "Light", "Medium", "Mild" etc have all been banned as they portray one kind of cigarette being better for you than another, which is not the case.

If you have only started to develop a habit, you are in the best position to QUIT NOW.

6. +1

I seldom smoke, but when I do, nothings like a good cigar.

7. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    My roommate is really into cigars, and he went out and got some pretty "good" ones. Def not a fan of cigars.

Oh, and quitting now would be futile. Ive made the decision to smoke when I feel I need to. More or less everyone smokes at my school, and its just too hard to not smoke with them. That and things have been very stressful. Anyways, this thread is not about whether or not I should smoke, but what I should smoke.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Ever had a Monte Cristo Series V? When you get a good cigar (not the walgreens or gas station special), you will get it.

9. What are "good" cigars? Hopefully you arent talking about anything from a gas station. With the exception of this one gas station I saw that had a wine shop and real cigars, I never had a good cigar from a gas station. BTW that was the craziest gas station Ive ever seen.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Where was that at?

11. Yum...ever had a pre-embargo Cuban or Avo? Those are my two favorites. My best friend loves Aurora 1495 series, tho the one I had I wasnt too fond of.

12. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens

Just think of them as a bigger, more phallic, smellier cigarette.

Honestly, I like cigars better than cigarettes, I just don't smoke often enough to have the forethought to have them around when I want one. Frankly, they taste A LOT better than they smell, unlike cigarettes, where you generally get what you smell.

13. It was in Virginia, just outside of Lynchburg...most random and cool thing Ive ever seen. They had Romeo y julietas, Monte Cristos, among some other nice cigars that I cant recall the name of.

Personally, I think cigars smell awesome, as good or better than they taste.

14. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I <3 R y Js

15. lamborghini98

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR

LOL. No, no. He went to a real cigar shop and got them. He said theyre Nicaraguan... I just dont like the taste that much.

Anyways... Im def off to the deli right now to go buy a cheap cigar and see how crappy it is, and whether or not I can immediately tell the difference between that and the $12 cigar my roommate bought.

Dutch Master here I come : )

16. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I think "light" cigarettes have small holes around the filter to let in some air when inhaled. IIRC they are right where most people put their fingers, so they get covered up most of the time. The filter is a little longer too.
    I believe 100's are like lights except with even more filter.

17. Believe it or not, cigars can vary greatly in taste, even the same brand and sometimes even the same kind of cigar. What did you not like about it?

18. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You need to go to a good shop. We have 2 right now. One has the biggest walk in humidor in the area. It makes a HUGE difference. I sold my humidor a little while ago because I don't have the money to keep it stocked. I may buy a smaller one, though...

19. Have you ever seen those little cigar sized things that keeps the humidity right in a box? You could get one of those and a decent box for not too much, and you wouldnt have to keep that many cigars in there.

20. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Check into pipe smoking, maybe? Dunhill's Light Flake is one of the best tobacco experiences I've ever had.

Of course, getting into pipe smoking can suck up your money as quickly as being a musician, if you let it. At one time, I owned about 20 pipes and 5 or 6 pieces of furniture for them. Ouch.

As for cigars, darn near anything by Arturo Fuente is good, IMO. I like the Chateau Fuentes, in the cedar wrapper the best.

And stay away from cigarettes. I kicked every other bad habit in my life, and still find a cigarette jammed in my mouth several times daily, even with other tobacco products around. It's not like they even taste good. Just a nicotine injection, with no enjoyment to go with.