Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tober's WORST GIG EVER LAST NIGHT! (10/20)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Oct 21, 2002.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    -------Copied from my Xanga---------

My god.. we had the WORST gig last night.. it was soo pathetic....

we were playing for the NY Rocketball, which featured 7 DJs, 30 bands, video game contests and so forth.. sounded like a good show, but we got was a poorly promoted, garbagy(sp?) show! We were told to be there at 3:00pm.. When we got there at 3, they told us to wait 45 minutes because the place isn't even opened yet... which kinda pissed us off right there.. There were supposed to be 900 people there.. but we were lucky if there were 100 people in the whole damn place!!

Okay, the place opens, and the people told us we weill be on at around 9:00PM! So we had to wait 6 hours til we play a friggin 30 minute set.. As the place started to play some music, most of the bands were just horrible and couldn't stand most of them.. I saw 1 band, which had an awesome drummer.. but that was about it.. I gave out couple of our CDs to people.. I had a drink of Red Devil.. for.. guess what... $10 couldn't believe it.... for a friggin drink... which did almost nothing to me... this girl next to me was smoking weed so i got a hit of that lol.. but didn't do anything to me as well! Okay, its 8:15 and now the band before us got on to play... each band was supposed to get a 30 minute set but I could've sworn that they were playing for over an hour. each song was like 10 minutes of them showing off what they don't even have... the vocalist's voice was soo pearcing to the ear that it felt that someone took a needle and shoved it in your ear...

We were getting pissed from hearing their horrible music as we were getting ready to playing our set... we told ourselves that we were going to kick ass and we will rip the place in pieces...

Well the "rip the place in pieces" went kinda true... we got on stage to setup... i plugged my bass in to their "GK amp" with Ampeg 8x10s.. and the sound i got was just HORRENDEOUS.... all i heard was "booom boom" for every note i hit on my bass.. no tone in it what so ever!! I was soo pissed.. i changed every knob around but all i got was the same sound.. ..

So our band starts playing our song.. all i can hear was "BOOM BOOM BOOM", no tone bass sound while I can't even hear Nick's guitar.. Ivo's voice was getting every feedback that he can imagine... and it was horrendous.. we started playing the song 939 and after half way.. we all had it... we stopped playing and left (the drummer left first, the house hit was falling apart! Bass drum went one way, snare came off, toms fell off etc..) we told the sound guy (which didn't know *** he was doing) that we never had a place more pathetic then that place.. It was embarrassing to play our songs in that kinda situation and make us look like asses... The only people that were watching us was nick's family (his mom/dad/diana/vanessa and their friends)... I want to apologize to them soo badly for coming down to watch us play from NJ and couldn't even finish our set...

So we storm out of the ****ing place (Downtime on 30st in NYC) to the "Parking lot" next to it... we all got our money to pay off the parking.. it said $23 for up to 10 hours.. so we bring the ticket to the guy and he said "$39".. we were like "***!!!!!!" and started yelling at the deuschebag.. and we asked them why.. he said "its a flat rate".. but on the ****ing signs it says $23 for 10 hours.. so we told them to go **** themselves.. nick yelled "no wonder you guys are thieves".. as we pulled out of the area, mike told me to open my window and i did... then he screamed at them "I hope they will bomb your ass!".. and Ivo was like "OH MY GOD!! can't believe you said that!!".. we were all frustrated with the event... we wasted 6 hours, lost $250 and did nothing!!! we got home around 10:30pm ish to discuss things and left...

To Nino: Thank god you didn't make to this gig!!

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Dude, Im sorry!!!

3. sorry to hear about the bad gig, their really annoying

i had a similar experience on the weekend, only i was on the organizing side rather than playing side, here's the story.

my mate arganises rock nights in our local town, their small gigs (80-100 people) but they're very popular so he decided to organise a big rock night in a nearby city (swansea in case your wondering). the venue had a 650 capacity, we had 6 bands, light shows laser shows, 3 tatooists, 1 piercer, hells kitchen (SPICY food!) and loads of other sh*t like that. there was a lot of interest in it and it lookes like it was going to go well, at 8:00 the doors open and about ten walk in, by 9:00 there were about 25, and by the end of the night there were about 40 people, the crowd that was there was good and the bands rocked, but unfortunetly (sp?) for my mate who organised it the poor turnout has cost him a LOT of money and he may loose his buisness :( :mad: :(

must be a bad luck cloud floating around :rolleyes:

l8rz

Tom

4. Been there, done that with a battle of the bands *at a church* and guess what, 1st 2nd and 3rd went to the 3 christian bands.

Our experience was almost verbatim to yours

and that wasn't even my old band's worst gig:rolleyes:

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    at least you had a good crowd and good bands.. we didn't have any of those.. only people there to watch us was our guitarist's family...

Nino said he might make it to taht gig and im glad he didn't.... he would've changed his mind about my bass playin

DM

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    well tallguy, our drummer was bout quit right htere on the spot.... we talked to him not to.. thank god but for like the first 2-3 hours.. he said he was done..

DM

7. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    That was awful...So sorry to hear that.:( Lets look into the future and see a fantastic gig and yes some lable scouts...huge record deal...you come find Superfreak on TB to say thanks:D

Gosh Im good.:p

8. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    are we even that good? :confused:

9. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Sure you are...You are only as good as you think you are...Start thinking your fantastic...than that is how you will play...Think about it.:)

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    LOL I guess... but that gig brought alot of us down.. u don't know how frustrating that was

DM :(

11. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    oh yeah odie.. i willl try to get those pics to you soon!

DM

12. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Lets put into perspective that the equipment that you guys used was pretty much the cause of the gig...Am I right?

13. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Equipment, how the show was setup, poor promotion, no crowd...

DM

14. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    they basically stole some money from us too... $50 for security of our equipment... yah.. SUUUURE when we have to throw your equipments in this little roo mwith EVERYTHING else's.. and NO ONE watching it and there is a door right by it to go out side..

DM

15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    bummer...

also, this goes into the BH & GS forum :)

16. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    BH & GS?

17. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Bass Humor and GIG STORIES

18. odie

odie Supporting Member

Man that security bill, and the parking deal really sucks. If your not getting payed to play they at least need to provide accommodations for you.

Look at it this way, every band of any respectable caliber will tell you the horror stories they had in when they were starting out.

I rememberseeing Flotsam and Jetsam in the late 80's early 90's(Cuatro was the album, I think). They had a the most 50 people there, it was in Milwaukee, WI which is supposed to be more of a Metal town back in the day and that is all that was there to see them. I think even Prong opened for them.

You'll look back at this years from now and laugh, Besides your stuff didnt get stolen like what happened to my band when we played in a hick town in Iowa!!!

19. i had a similar experience: battle of the bands, hosted by christian band(who sucked). my band rocked out so much better, everyone there said we were awesome, and yet, we got 2nd. they got first. the judges said it was because they were an actual band with a CD. how does a CD make you an ACTUAL band?! we practiced our asses off more than they did, probably. we just are spoiled little rich kids like them. oh well, that was 2 years ago...

sorry 'bout the bad gig Mazda

20. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Man. that really sucks man.. I am sorry to hear about your gig.. Nothing worse than having a bad gig... unless your car gets blowd up ;)