Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias 5 string Growler

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raycer, Mar 4, 2005.

1. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    WHat's the good, the bad, and the ugly about these basses:)

The music shop has one used and I am tempted if I can muster up the $$$. The are asking $899 with case. Is that
    a good price or would I be able to find a better deal?

I also noticed that the fretboard is different that any other bass I've tried, as you can kinda feel the grain.

The bass itself is in excellent shape BTW

I know I said I wanted a MM SR5, but I think the Tobia would work well for me

2. Can you get a serial number? That way you can do a little more research about when it was made. If it's an earlier made one that was hand made as opposed to machined it sounds like a good deal. Then again, $900.00 for a great sounding/playing bass sounds like a good deal to me, especially if it fits your needs.

3. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    hmmm, I could go get the number next time I go. Is there anything on the number that would be a easy give a way for the year of construction?

4. You'd have to get the serial # and check it against the serial #'s on Michael Tobias' website. I'll post it next time I'm on or you cab google Michael Tobias or MTD basses.

5. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Michael Tobias did not hand build the Tobias Growlers. Tobias Growlers, Killer Bs, et al were all made by Gibson after Mike sold the name.

That said, some Gibson Tobias basses are great and some are dogs. It's up for you to decide.

6. I didn't mean Mike Tobias built the Growlers, I meant that someone at Gibson hand built them, after he sold Tobias. Sorry.

7. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Went to the shop today. The only number I found on the Bass was on the back of the headstock under the imprinted Made in th USA was 8113. Is that the serial?

8. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    I searched Michael Tobia's but didn't find anything about the serial numbers, only that the last ones he was involved with were in the #2000s range and this one is 8113 so I guess it's from a few years afterwards.

9. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    definitely made by gibson. check the neck before taking the plunge. mine wouldn´t adjust properly and turned out to be twisted beyond repair...

10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Agreed. I had a used one a few years ago, and while it wasn't twisted beyond repair, the neck wouldn't stay put and liked to back bow alot. Also the fret job was horrible. On the up side, it was very comfortable to play and very versatile for a one pickup bass even though I don't know how useful all the tones were.

11. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Neck looked good, but I'm not a very good judge, since I have only about 1 year exp.

Another Q for you guys who have owned a Tobias. What's with the fretboard being so grainy? As in, you can feel the grain of the wood quite a bit as oppse to any other bass I've tried/own

12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    It's Wenge, and that's typical for that wood. Not to worry, tho. It's very tough stuff.