1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Tobias 6 String Bass MTD Built in California Pre Gibson

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Arcane-Inc, May 27, 2018.

1. Arcane-Inc

Arcane-Inc Supporting Member Commercial User

May 27, 2018
    I make pickups for Basses and Guitars
    Price:
    Strings:
    1. 2. 3.1. 3. 5. 6. 7. 8. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 21. This listing is for a 1992 Tobias 6 String bass that was one of the last built in California by the original crew, the instrument has been stored since then. This Bass is serial number 2042, which makes it one of the last ones built in Burbank by the original crew. #2044 was the final bass built in California before the company moved to Nashville. You can read more info about this at mtdbass.com under history. The Bass is also signed and dated on the headstock by Michael Tobias with the date of 12/92, this is the date that the last instruments were built in Burbank California.

From the MTDbass.com web site
    "Despite Gibson's ownership of Tobias Guitars, all basses created up until the last Los Angeles Tobias/ Gibson bass (serial number 2044) were hand built by the original Tobias team. While Michael Tobias left Tobias Guitars in December of 1992 and served as a consultant for Gibson during the early stages of Tobias Nashville operations, the first production of instruments from Tobias Guitars in Nashville consisted of around 60 basses that were neither numbered nor completed by any member of the Los Angeles Tobias Guitars team. "

About the bass. This bass was completed in December of 1992 by one of the original California Crew members (that’s me, this is my auction, feel free to ask me any questions). The instrument is a unique combination of specs with the classic 5 piece neck and a 5 piece body which is a signature wood combination. The instrument is a hybrid of a classic and a signature. The wood combination is also unique and the only bass that was ever made with this combination. Birdseye maple is a rare wood for a Tobias of this period and the only one I ever recall seeing when it was built. I went above and beyond on this bass to make the craftsmanship perfect since I knew this was going to be my last act with the company, I did the wood working.

The condition is almost new despite being 26 years old. Once the instrument was completed it was put in a case and stored in a climate controlled environment since then. I consider the condition to be new old stock. The instrument is in virtually unplayed condition as you can see in the pictures.

The Bass will come with the original Tobias soft case.

Scale 34 inch
    Construction: Neck Through
    Weight: 9.9 pounds
    Nut Width: 2 Inches
    Finger Board width at the last fret: 3 1/4 Inches
    String to string at the bridge: 3 3/8 Inches
    Pickups Bartolini
    Preamp Bartolini XTCT-LZ Bass Mid Treble tone control
    Controls: Volume, Pan, Bass, Mid, Treble, Passive active switch
    Neck Maple and Wenge
    Fingerboard Zircote
    Body wood Birdseye Maple Mahogany 3 piece
    Tuners: Tobias
    Bridge: Tobias
    Nut: Bone
    Case: Tobias Soft Case

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  2. Lraphel

Lraphel

Jul 9, 2015
    Beautiful and amazing "time-capsule" bass. What is the string spacing and weight, if you know them? Thanks.

3. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    What preamp?

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Hubba Hubba!
    GLWTS

5. Arcane-Inc

May 27, 2018
    Thank you. The nut width is 2 inches and 3 1/4 inches at the end of the fingerboard, at the bridge low string to high string is 3 3/8 inches. i weighed the bass and it comes to 9.9 pounds.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  6. Arcane-Inc

May 27, 2018
    The preamp is the Bartolini XTCT-LZ Bass Mid Treble tone control. That is exactly what is written on the preamp box.

7. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Man, what a pedigree. I love your pickups and didn't know that you worked for the famed Burbank team back then. Scott Shiraki hipped me to you.

8. Arcane-Inc

May 27, 2018
    Thank you. Yes I worked there till the end when we shut it down in December of 1992 and shipped the equipment to Nashville. I did the woodworking, milling and gluing raw wood and building basses it was all pin router, planer, table saw and hand tools back then.

KUETSUM and Hans Gruber like this.
  9. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Did you work with Bob MacDonald?

10. Arcane-Inc

May 27, 2018
    Yes I did. Bob did Neck Carving and managed the shop. I believe Bob works for the Vox Custom Shop now.

11. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Cool. I bought #1969 and #666 from Bob.

12. Arcane-Inc

May 27, 2018
    Oh yeah I remember number 666. For years that number was in the serial number book and it said save this number for someone who really deserves it. I think it was Bob who wrote that. I guess he found someone who deserves it.

13. KUETSUM

KUETSUM Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Hong Kong
    What a peice of history
    Wish the g string is my thing

14. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Such a beauty.