Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias 6-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noweapon, Jul 24, 2000.

1. noweapon

noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    Bass player just did a review of a Tobias Toby pro-5 in their lastest issue...

construction:4
    electronics:3
    Playability:4
    Sound:5
    Value:4

"An attractive, credible axe at an incredible price"

I'm interested in thier 6 string version. Has the quality really gone out the window since the basses are now made in Korea?? Has anybody compared the Micheal Tobias built basses to the "new" ones. Thanks for any responses... [​IMG]

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Theyre great, FOR THE PRICE. Yeah, you can get better, but for the price, its a great 6. Itd get one if i wasnt buying my Megoliath. Its the only 6 id get probably, because i love Tobias, and its looks comfortable, but id have to switch out the pickups for EMG's or Barts. I think the six is actually really cool looking, though last time i went to MusicYo.com, they werent selling the six, so youd have to check. They might not be selling it. But, for a budget 6, its great. I would NEVER buy the 4 or 5, but i like the 6. They are NOWHERE NEAR as good as the Michael Tobias built models, but thats expected. Change out the pickups, and you have quite a good 6 string.

3. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I recently got a Pro 6 and here are my thoughts: plays wonderfull, built quite well and mine has a really nice "violin burst" finish over a lightly quilted maple. I was a bit surprised to see "Bass Player" rate the sound as a "5" as I think the weakest link is the pickups, but then I have not had a chance to use the bass in a band mix. The pickups are much more "open" sounding then the Bart's in either of my two Pedulas, my Tobias Growler, or the MEC's in my two Warwicks. Each of these have much "tighter" and "richer" sounding pickups, but then they cost a lot more. On the other hand, a very positive thing about the Toby Pro 6 is it has a very solid feel to it, not overly heavy, but much more solid then the Growler. Also, while I did to a little bit of "tweaking" to the set up, it needed very little. I actually had to return my Growler to Gibson right after I got as while the neck played great, the ends of the frets were never taken care of and you would cut your hand up trying to play it. When I brought it to Gibson in Nashville, they looked at and admitted that it should never have left they plant in the condition it was in. (They were very nice about it and did an excellent job getting it right.) So, as far as playability, the Toby basses seem to be as good or better right out of the box then the actual American made Tobias basses. (I have seen a number of new Growlers and Renegades in stores that have necks that are wraped and/or twisted beyond any normal adjustment...really as shame as I am generally a Gibson fan.)

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I just ordered the 6 last night. It's supposed to be here on the 26th. I'll let you know how it stacks up against my original Tobiases [​IMG] I'm not expecting miracles, but...

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Question but why is the only option a 6 string.

Also MegAngus why would'nt you consider the 4 or 5 string?

When I got the Toby5 a few months ago I posted how good I thought it was and it got ripped on. But now that it got a good review in Bass Player people are looking at it more positive.

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by odie:
    Question but why is the only option a 6 string.

Also MegAngus why would'nt you consider the 4 or 5 string?

When I got the Toby5 a few months ago I posted how good I thought it was and it got ripped on. But now that it got a good review in Bass Player people are looking at it more positive.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are the people who seem positive now the same people who ripped on you? Bass Player's review had zero to do with my decision to check one out. I was considering the 6 when they first offered it, then it wasn't available. Now it is available so I ordered one.

If I commented on your thread it was probably to say I have no idea what they are like and wouldn't pass judgement until I played one. I should be playing one tomorrow [​IMG]

Bass Player has the annoying habit of inconsistency. The same thing that is a major bone of contention on one bass is no big deal on another. I don't put much stock in their reviews.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Oh, and i checked back at musicyo.com, and they do sell the six. For some reaon, i went there one day, and all they had was the pro 4 and 5, but no pro 6 or deluxe 4 and 5.

Anyway, i get 6 but not 4 or 5, because, well, 1) i dont play 4 strings, i hate them, and 2) i have to 5's of much higher quality, and 3) that type of 6 for $499? HELL Of A DEAL! Ive never seen a new 6 for that much, especially one of this caliber. I may yet get one...

8. noweapon

noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    Brad: Let me know how it sounds! The one you ordered is the one I'm thinking about getting (violin burst) or the "natural" finish (the red one is king of weird looking. What I'm most concerned about is the neck strength. Also, do you know if their are any other models availible? My buddy has A tobias 5 and it looks nothing like the ones on musicyo.com

Angus: whats the deluxe model??

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The deluxe model, is, contrary to what you may be thinking, the cheaper musicyo.com Tobias. STEER CLEAR.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Here's my review of the MusicYo Tobias 6:

It looks like a Tobias [​IMG]

I'll start by saying that I own 1978 and 1984 Tobiases. I wasn't really expecting a $499 miracle. Here are the things that struck me first:

the weight
    the neck
    the string spacing

This bass is heavy. I didn't weigh it but it is appreciably heavier than the two ash bodied basses I have. If that was the only "problem" I had with it I could deal with it.

The neck is the thickest I can ever recall playing. I'm 6'2" with average sized hands (I guess, I know they're not small). The neck doesn't have the asymetrical profile of the originals. In contrast a Yamaha TRB6 is a piece of cake because while it is very wide, it's not thick. This neck was just plain hard to get around on. The bright side is it's so damned thick it will probably never twist or warp [​IMG]

I like 3/4" string spacing, it's just easier for me to get my fingers between the strings. The Toby is pretty tight. I don't like tight (string spacing).

The bass seems to be very well constructed. I didn't open the control cavity, after holding it and playing it the neatness of the cavity was a non-issue. The fretwork was very nice, the controls worked smoothly and didn't sound or feel cheap.

I saw absolutely nothing wrong with the quality. Can't really get into specifics on the sound other than there were no glaring problems. The guitar player I worked with last night received a Toby 5 from MusicYo yesterday (what a coincidence). I'll check it out this weekend. Of the three issues I had with mine, the neck was the deal breaker. I'm sending it back.

BTW I ordered the bass Sunday night and received it Wednesday. So far MusicYo has been excellent.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yay! The penguin! Hehe. Well, im sorry to hear you didnt like it. I still think i want one though. I think id get the red one though. Hehe, looks cool. Simply because : Weight, not an issue. Big, huge neck : i can live. I like warwicks and moduli! (the quantums have a pretty thick neck! but not as big as a warwick.). How thick was it? Was it bigger than warwick? Man, if you havent sent it back, ill buy it! (uh, for less than you paid!). Man, i wish i had a 6 string. Well, tell me what you can. Is it still a good deal? (By the way, do you think the neck is STILL to big for a 5'9" kid with HUGE hands? Theyll get bigger, too...) Thanks! And sorry about the bass...just go out and buy yourself some more pre-gibsons.

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MegaAngus:
    Yay! The penguin! Hehe. Well, im sorry to hear you didnt like it. I still think i want one though. I think id get the red one though. Hehe, looks cool. Simply because : Weight, not an issue. Big, huge neck : i can live. I like warwicks and moduli! (the quantums have a pretty thick neck! but not as big as a warwick.). How thick was it? Was it bigger than warwick? Man, if you havent sent it back, ill buy it! (uh, for less than you paid!). Man, i wish i had a 6 string. Well, tell me what you can. Is it still a good deal? (By the way, do you think the neck is STILL to big for a 5'9" kid with HUGE hands? Theyll get bigger, too...) Thanks! And sorry about the bass...just go out and buy yourself some more pre-gibsons. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Without the penguin how would you know it was an official Brad Johnson Bass Collection bass (tm)? (Right, Biskadecaphobia? [​IMG])

The bass doesn't look bad at all, though not as good as it does in these pictures. Blame the photographer [​IMG]

If you think Warwicks are thick...seriously, the thickness of this neck is in a class by itself. Neck thickness has never been an issue for me until this bass, that's how thick it is [​IMG] Never.

Man, if you havent sent it back, ill buy it! (uh, for less than you paid!).

Too funny [​IMG] Let's see..I could return it for a full refund or sell it to the DuckMan at a loss.... what's your address? [​IMG]

Thanks! And sorry about the bass...just go out and buy yourself some more pre-gibsons.

I've never bought a pre-Gibson. I know it's a technicality but...

By all means if you want one get it. Nothing I said was meant to deter anyone from getting one of these basses. They seem to be very well built and the price is very low. If the neck was wider and thinner I'd probably keep it. It didn't work for me. YMMV

Let us know how yours works out.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Brad, that's a shame about the neck.. being small handed myself, I need a thin profile, and like you said about the TRB6P, width is not a problem at all..

Let us know about your friend's 5 when you can, maybe if it's not as bad I can get one of those.

------------------
    check out my basses on my gear page! http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/robson/1174/music/gear.html

the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

14. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    Brad, i'd also like to hear about your friends 5 string, im also tossing around the idea of getting one of these things.thanks

15. mainsale

mainsale

Apr 20, 2000
    Just got mine. I was pleasantly suprised at the quality and especially the sound. It sounds superlative. It's neck heavy, but you expect that in a 6-string. For the money, I rate it as a very definate "buy"! Where else can you get this kind of bass for this kind of money?
    toodle pip!

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Re: the Toby 5: The guitar player didn't bring it to the gig so I didn't get a chance to play it.

Congrats, mainsale. Like I said, just because it didn't work for me...

17. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey Brad...

If you wish, you could copy/paste that review into the Reviews Dropbox.

Thanks for taking the time to do that review, btw.

-GM

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Done, GM.

19. noweapon

noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    Hey, thanks for all the replies guys. From what I am hearing, the bass is feels pretty good and sounds great. It looks great!! the only problem I have with it is its cheapy looking bridge and pickups. I'm going to go for it....Change the stock pikups w/ EMG's and drill through the bridge so the B and the E can run through the body. Thanks Again guys!!!

20. I have a Toby 5-string (made in Korea) I got in '95 and has been my mainstay for 5 years. It's almost an exact replica of Brad's sixer, wood and electronics-wise, 'cept it's a five.
    Anyway I recently swapped out the electonics with a Bart preamp and pickups and the difference in tone is phenomenal. Now I know what the bass REALLY sounds like. My bandmembers have been especially complementary. I wanted to swap the bridge with an ABM, but it turned out to be a lot wider than the stock bridge so I'll have to look for one with the same dimensions. I did have the B-string hole bored out a bit, though because of problems getting that string thru the hole.

I would highly recommend swapping out the cheapass electronics. My old neck pickup buzzed like crazy and the tone was rather muddy overall.

But I'm a happy boy now.