1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tobias Basic 4 or Toby Pro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElBasso, Mar 11, 2013.

1. ElBasso

ElBasso

Oct 1, 2010
    I am trying to find a little more info on my Tobias. I bought this under the assumption that it was a pre-Gibson basic 4. I am trying to confirm and am finding that it may be a Toby Pro instead and would like to be sure. Here is what I know:

No serial number anywhere I can see and no evidence of any removal.

Bridge pickup has Tobias stamp somewhat worn off, either no stamp or worn off of neck pickup

All black truss rod cover on headstock

No truss rod cover on the body

Very close to http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/beginner-just-bought-tobias-toby-pro-4-bass-d-882132/ but the body grains are different, it doesn't say Toby Pro on the truss cover, tobias logo is smaller and doesn't run into the tuners.

Overall the bass is nearly identical to the bass in this post http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/holiday-gift-me-tobias-toby-pro-4-a-611461/ except for the truss rod cover is different and there is no serial number on the back.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363044129.217630.

Attached Files:

2. ElBasso

ElBasso

Oct 1, 2010
  3. ElBasso

ElBasso

Oct 1, 2010
  4. ElBasso

ElBasso

Oct 1, 2010
  5. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Sorry, dude, that's definitely NOT a Pre-Gibson Tobias. Looks like a Toby Pro to me.

EG

6. ElBasso

ElBasso

Oct 1, 2010
    Short of having a serial number, which it doesn't, are the main ways to tell by the stamped pickups, top of the neck truss cover vs bottom neck access, and the all black tone knobs?

7. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Those things are a good indication, but there's more significant things :

The body shaping is slightly different to all the Pre-Gib and even Gibson, Basic, Classic and Signature models. The lower horn shape looks quite different, especially the angle.

The wood used in the neck looks roughly like the wenge use in Signature models and maple used in Classics, but has none of the grain or figuring of the real thing, so might be dyed or tinted, cheaper woods. There's also no thinner laminates (stringers) between the larger laminates of the neck.

As far as I know, Basic models all had purpleheart and maple necks. Woods like wenge, were only available on Classic (by custom order) and Signature models.

The bridge looks like a cheapie, nothing like the Tobias bridges on Classics and Signatures, or Schaller roller bridges used on Basics.

Hope that helps!

EG

8. ElBasso

ElBasso

Oct 1, 2010
    Thanks EG, that's very helpful. I just wanted to make sure I knew what it was if I ever decide to sell so I don't have the wrong information!

9. jbbassplayer

jbbassplayer

Jan 30, 2007
    It's a Toby Pro (I am the former head of R&D at Tobias in Nashville from 1994-97). The EASIEST way to always be sure is.... no USA made tobias ever had the truss rod adjustment at the headstock. Period. Even the Standard & the rare (only a few made) Pedulla made Tobias basses all have T-rod adjust at the end of the f-bd. Good luck to you.

10. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    He's right!

11. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy Banned

Aug 10, 2011
    Springfield, MA
    Michael Tobias Designs Kingston Series & Traynor Amps Artist
    +1 on the toby pro....