1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Tobias Basic 5-String, Green, Transition Period

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ScotRFM, May 12, 2018.

1. ScotRFM

ScotRFM Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Northern Kentucky
    Price:
    $2200.00
    Strings:
    Tobias - Body 2.JPG Tobias - Body 3.JPG Tobias - Body 4.JPG Tobias - Body back 2.JPG Tobias - Bridge.JPG Tobias - Cavity 4 serial number.JPG Tobias - Headstock 3.JPG Tobias - OHSC 4 front.JPG Tobias - Scar 2.JPG Tobias - Stand 1.JPG Tobias - Stand 3.JPG Tobias - Stand back 2.JPG This is an early-to-mid 1990s Tobias Basic 5-string bass that I purchased new from Dixie Music Center in Louisville, KY in late 1994. The serial # is 2232 and it is from the "transition period" after Gibson bought Tobias, but before Michael Tobias left the company. I've never seen another translucent green one and, when I bought it, I was told the color was "Holly green," named after a former employee at Tobias, but I cannot confirm the authenticity of that story <edit: I recently had this confirmed by another TB member. The Tobias employee was named Holly Montgomery.>. When I bought it, there was a sister bass to it in red at the store and I have also seen a blue one many years ago. It does have the original hard-shell case.

The bass is nearly flawless. 17.5mm string spacing. The control cavity, as seen in the photos, is immaculate and all original. The active/passive Bartolini pickups are original and fantastic. I normally used it in passive mode because the sound is so good, but in certain situations the onboard preamp was of much use. There is some typical wear on the bridge where the black/dark coating is slowly wearing off the metal. The bass does have one scar as seen in one of the photos. The scar is where a small chip of the finish was knocked off due to a collision with another bass in a studio. It was professionally repaired by a luthier friend, though it is noticeable if you really look for it. It is on the back of the bass, near the mid-top area, unnoticed from the front. All controls work perfectly. The output jack, which had some wear and was getting crackly, was replaced on June 6, 2018, like-for-like, with a new Switchcraft 152B jack. The asymmetrical neck is in great shape, and it has the dual truss rod setup.

It's only been used for live gigs a handful of times. Most of its use has been in studio settings. Lately, though, it's been sitting in the case as I've moved on to other basses for a variety of reasons. This one doesn't deserve to only see the light of day occasionally - it needs a good home with someone that will use it. So, in the interest of selling one to make room for something else, I now offer it up. Please message with any questions - I'll be happy to answer and I do have a few other pictures or can take some more.

Shipping to the Continental US only at this point, and the costs should be around $70. My wife has a Paypal account, so we could set up payment through that. Otherwise, money order or cashier's check are preferred. If you live close enough (I'm in Northern Kentucky, near Cincinnati, OH), by all means shoot me a message to come see and play it before considering a purchase. This is my second oldest bass, but sentimentality is no reason to keep it when it's just been sitting in the case...I truly want to find it a good home.

Regarding trades, I'm not really interested at this time.

***12/15/18: I've had a lot of responses and queries about this bass, and I appreciate everyone that's asked questions or made trade offers. Alas, since the bass hasn't sold, I'm willing to listen to reasonable offers (no trades - I have a bass that I'd like to get with the money from this sale). If I can't move it by the end of the year, I'm just going to prep it and store it for a few years (or until I might need it for a session.) Looking forward to hearing from some folks. Thanks to everyone that's taken a look at it.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  2. rockosocko

rockosocko Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I had of these babies in translucent blue, I should have never got rid of it. Great sounding bass with a nice midrange growl to it.

ScotRFM likes this.
  3. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Nice bass.
    Nice back yard.
    I own 2 Tobias Gibson era basses and
    they are wicked nice.
    GLWTS

ScotRFM likes this.
  4. ScotRFM

Dec 24, 2017
    Northern Kentucky
    Don't make me start to rethink it now! You're right - tonally, there's little that it can't do. Strangely, it's a little too "clean" for the sound I hear in my head these days. I started on Precisions in the early 90s, moved into this Tobias and a Spector later, but have gone full circle.

5. ScotRFM

Dec 24, 2017
    Northern Kentucky
    Thanks! We've lived here for four years now...nice, quiet, about an acre backed by a forest...so when the basses start rumbling, no one except the birds and other wildlife is there to really care.

6. Federighi

Federighi

Jun 19, 2011
    Burlingame, CA
    Wow that green! GLWS!

ScotRFM likes this.
  7. PM sent

ScotRFM likes this.
  8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    You back yard is awesome!

ScotRFM likes this.
  9. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Do you have an accurate weight?

ScotRFM likes this.
  10. ScotRFM

Dec 24, 2017
    Northern Kentucky
    Our bathroom scale shows it at 9.2 pounds.

MarTONEbass likes this.
  11. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Thank you!

ScotRFM likes this.
  12. bigbassdaddy

bigbassdaddy Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Southern California
    That’s a cool bass. And green, if I may add!

ScotRFM likes this.
  13. Delsan

Delsan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Bowmanstown
    This bass makes me feel like I've been sleeping on Tobias for a long time. Maybe once I sell my Streamer I'll come around.

ScotRFM likes this.
  14. ScotRFM

Dec 24, 2017
    Northern Kentucky
    I've had it posted for a while now and had a lot of interest but no one's pulled the trigger yet. I knew, with the colour, it might be a tough sell, but the bass itself is gold (not the colour, but as in "worth its weight in..."). It's just not a tool that I need with what I'm doing anymore and I can't stand to have it just sitting in its case in the studio.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  15. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Technically they were still being made by Michael Tobias and his crew. Same instrument.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Groove Doctor and ScotRFM like this.