Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metal123, Sep 4, 2002.

1. We call that the YoBias. Available at Musicyo.com

its a distrubutor for all of Gibsons brands.

Music Yo

Its funny that you can buy it at Music Yo for the same price, but the shipping from Ebay is 28 dollars and Music yo is free

BTW its a not bad Korean of Chineese made bass, with Ok pickups and a noisy preamp.

But it has very little of the Tobias mojo

2. Thanks, I appreciate the info, that's all i need

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    why the heck would anyone name anything musicyo? what the heck does that mean? i swear gibson botches up nearly everything they lay their hands on...they have the touch, kind of like midas' golden touch...but not...beat the horn off of an anvil with a rotten banana, so to speak. musicyo...yobias...:rolleyes:

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    You would probably want to look into MTD basses - that's what Michael Tobias, one of the finest luthiers in the world, has been up to since Gibson bought out his 'Tobias' brand. The american hand-made ones cost thousands of bucks(and are worth it!), but he has lately introduced his version of Korean mass made bass, the Kingston, which is very much bass for very little money. The 5-string versions go under 500 bucks, and are generally known as the best bargain in bass world!

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Named after Doc Yo. I don't know, has a better ring than Yo Center;)

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ahhh....i see now... ;) good point man. yo center? oh dear lord *cringes*

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Or you could look out for a used one of Michael's orignal Tobias basses like I did - got mine only a few years ago and they still come up - anything under 2044 serial number is one of his!

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yea, saw one of the old, hand-made Tobiases for sale here.. for $3700 :confused: :(

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Doing the currency conversion and presuming you are talking US $ - that's about £600 more than I paid for my Classic 5 - they must be appreciating in value!! :)