1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tobias bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dudemeister, Feb 10, 2002.

1. I found this Tobias in a local music shop, but I can't seem to find any info on it. I've tried to search on RB750, which it's supposed to be called, but I don't get any hits.
    Does anybody know what it is?
    [​IMG]
    (Please don't tell me it's a pre-Gibson for 750$:))

2. Nope, it's second hand and not excellent condition. I'm not buying it. I was just curious.
    Thanks anyway!

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't think any Growlers were pre-Gibson; but the way to tell is the serial number - under 2044 is pre-Gibson.

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Nope - The Growler was thought up long after (Around '97 I believe) Gibson took over the Tobias name. Great pickup & preamp (Bartolini). It would have been a great bass if it weren't for the crappy single action truss rod. Lot's of people have had problems with the necks like twisting, etc...

- Frank.

5. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Most of the Growlers actually had the same double (two) truss rod system of the upper line Gibson made Tobias models. I know the 4 string that I have has this. Even the MusicYo Tobias basses (at least the neck through model) have the dual truss rod system.

6. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I guess it's possible that at some point it was changed. I must admint, I never owned a Growler. The info I have on it has been through reviews here on TB, as well as Harmony Central and Bass Player mag.

Here is an exerpt on the Growler from Bass Player magazine's 5 string shootout back in '97...

"THE GROWLER'S DUAL-COIL BARTOLINI HUMBUCKER produces a range of tones most single-pickup basses can't match. And at less than eight pounds, this bass is a featherweight....The instrument's body is sawed from lightweight swamp ash that's covered in a handrubbed-oil finish. The three-piece maple/purpleheart neck features a deep-set bolt-on joint: the neck extends 1 3/8" past the end of the 24-fret fingerboard into the body. The single-action truss rod doesn't have a lot of adjustment to offer; you'll really have to crank it to straighten the neck. Also, there's not much relief available when the rod is completely loosened. (Fans of light strings, beware.)"

Peace,

- Frank.