Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dudemeister, Feb 10, 2002.

1. I found this Tobias in a local music shop, but I can't seem to find any info on it. I've tried to search on RB750, which it's supposed to be called, but I don't get any hits.
    Does anybody know what it is?
    [​IMG]
    (Please don't tell me it's a pre-Gibson for 750$:))

2. Nope, it's second hand and not excellent condition. I'm not buying it. I was just curious.
    Thanks anyway!

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't think any Growlers were pre-Gibson; but the way to tell is the serial number - under 2044 is pre-Gibson.

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Nope - The Growler was thought up long after (Around '97 I believe) Gibson took over the Tobias name. Great pickup & preamp (Bartolini). It would have been a great bass if it weren't for the crappy single action truss rod. Lot's of people have had problems with the necks like twisting, etc...

- Frank.

5. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Most of the Growlers actually had the same double (two) truss rod system of the upper line Gibson made Tobias models. I know the 4 string that I have has this. Even the MusicYo Tobias basses (at least the neck through model) have the dual truss rod system.

6. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I guess it's possible that at some point it was changed. I must admint, I never owned a Growler. The info I have on it has been through reviews here on TB, as well as Harmony Central and Bass Player mag.

Here is an exerpt on the Growler from Bass Player magazine's 5 string shootout back in '97...

"THE GROWLER'S DUAL-COIL BARTOLINI HUMBUCKER produces a range of tones most single-pickup basses can't match. And at less than eight pounds, this bass is a featherweight....The instrument's body is sawed from lightweight swamp ash that's covered in a handrubbed-oil finish. The three-piece maple/purpleheart neck features a deep-set bolt-on joint: the neck extends 1 3/8" past the end of the 24-fret fingerboard into the body. The single-action truss rod doesn't have a lot of adjustment to offer; you'll really have to crank it to straighten the neck. Also, there's not much relief available when the rod is completely loosened. (Fans of light strings, beware.)"

Peace,

- Frank.