Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Basses (new)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NCorder, Feb 20, 2003.

1. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I've been playin a korean made Tobias Toby Pro-5 neck thru for about 2 years now, and I've convinced myself its the best $500 I coulda spent on a brand new nech-thru bass.
    Anyhow, does anyone else remember reading on Gibsons web page about a year or so ago about plans for re-introducing a USA made line of Tobiases? Back then, I begged Gibson and MusicYo to let me in on any info at all on when this'l happen. No luck.
    Wouldn't it be nice if they brought back a USA made (perhaps custom?) line? Heck, maybe it'l force some other similar-quality companies to cut their prices!
    They released the pro-customs which are still Korean made, but they brought back the asymetrical neck, used different body wood and made 'em oil finished.
    Also, can I get some feedback from anyone who has/had a Toby Pro5 Custom? I'm curious as to whether the new Asym necks are as comfortable as the older Asym necks.

2. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I doubt that Gibson has any plans on manufacturing the Tobias basses in the U.S.I think that there're content with it being made in Korea.Presently I have 3 Tobias basses-Pre Gibson basic 5,Gibson/Tobias-Growler.and the so called Pro Toby 6 which was not a bad bass for the price but IMO,it does not compare to ither the Gibson or pre -Gibson Tobias basses.But,who knows,maybe they might restart tghe u.s.line again:confused: But dont hold your breath.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wellll......they're just called MTDs these days!! ;)

4. NCorder

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I think part of my problem is that I like the Tobias Headstocks a lot better than the MTD headstocks, plus the bodies are shaped slightly different, while I am still partial to the older Tobias style.
    I guess I hated being teased by Gibson starting a rumor (I know I didn't dream this up! I swear!)

Anyhow, so no one has played one of the newer Toby Pro-B customs with the Asym Neck and Bubinga body wings??

Do any other companies offer a similar Asymetrical neck?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Well like the previous poster I have a pre-Gibson US made Tobias - Classic 5 - but I have tried some of the more recent models in shops and thought they were a long way short in terms of quality and playability - especially the neck!

6. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    The only thing that the MTD'S & Tobiases have in common,is that they are/were made by the same luthier other than that they are not the same.However, as much as I like the MTD'S,I still love the old Tobiases.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Yes, but if you are looking for a new, US-made "Tobias" bass - then that is an MTD! ;)

8. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    although I didn't mention it my Toby Pro-6 does have an Asymetrical Neck.It is a good playing bass but as I said before,it does not compare to the real Tobiases.With that being said the Modulus Genesis 5 has an Asymetrical neck(although it is a bit wide) Roscoe's have an Asymetrical neck,the MTD Saratoga(which use to be called the Grendel,but yet this bass is also made in Korea)has an Asymetrical neck and has the 35'inch scale length.The Modulus also has the 35'inch scale length as well.I hope this helps

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Warmoth's Deluxe 5 and Gecko necks are asymmetrical.

10. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    An again the only thing they have in common with each other is that they are made by Mike.But the 2 are not the same The Tobias bass had a 34'inch scale length,different Bartolini pups/electronics.smaller string spacing,and was a neck-thru bass(although there were a couple of bolt-on Tobiases during the Gibson period.The Growler,and the Killer Bee)The MTD has a 35'inch scale length,different Bartolini pups/electronics wider string spacing and has a Bolt-on design.Seems to me these are different basses,and if I understood NCorder he would've like to have the Tobias(Gibson,not MTD)back in production in the u.s. again.But,if it will make u a better citizen,then the MTD is a Tobias Bass.:D

11. NCorder

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I believe Hands5 has me corectly, I would love to see a re-opening of the MIA Tobias basses, due to their (IMHO) more attractice body and headstock. A big plus to me is neck-thru instead of bolt-on or set necks.
    Alembics Rogue body style is similar to the Tobias', but then that puts me WAY out of my pice range, which brings up another reason why I like the Tobias' more than the MTD basses.
    If money wasn't a factor, I'd just get a pre-Gibson Tobias.

12. You're right. They are different. I have an MTD Beast 5 (made in the Czech Republic) and a Tobias Killer B 5-string. It's a US Gibson/Tobias - made in 1997. Top quality. There was a third model in addtion to the Killer B (which has dual Bartolini soapbars) and the Growler (with the MusicMan style Bartolini), which is the Renegade, which has the MM pickup and a J pickup in the neck position).

NCorder, if you like the Tobias ones that much, your best bet is to try to get one used off eBay. There's a Renegade on there now, which is about to expire (Tobias ). You can get this for not much more than a new Toby Pro. Well worth it - I'd go for it but I'm not in the market right now.

13. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Carvin also offers asymmetrical necks.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Gibons Tobias basses were made in the USA & stopped because Gibson has the touch of death when it comes to aquiring large,good companies. All they dare about is profit & they make ALOT more money with the overseas stuff then they did/would if they re-introduce a USA line.

That's because he grew & he made his product (to him) better. I've played alot of Gibson Tobias basses & they paled in comparision to the MTD Line.

15. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    A couple of years ago I talked to Gibson about an issue I had with an instrument, and in the course of the conversation asked about the possibility of USA made Tobias basses coming back into production. Whether there is any truth to what I was told, I don't know, but here is what was said:

All Nashville made Tobias basses were made in Gibson's Custom Shop, as were a few other select production (but not high demand) products. Gibson ceased production of these instruments when they decided to build a new Custom Shop facility in Memphis. It was hoped that if and when that facility was finished, USA made Tobias basses would come back into production at this new facility.

Again, this is just what a customer service rep told me over the phone. Whether there is any truth to it, I have no idea.

Steve

16. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    I have a korean Pro 5, and i love it to death, I changed the pups and pre-amp as soon as i could and now its my favorite bass, i pick it up before i pick up my warwick now. If i ever see another one for sale in the UK I will buy it.

17. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    www.gibson.com/products/tobias/index.html

Here's a link for anyone interested in the no-longer made Tobias/Gibson basses.

I saw, played, & then bought a Renegade fretted 4
    string a few months back. It's my main axe now.
    It's light as a feather, has a great neck & a great feel, and the Bartolini pups & TC-7 preamp are very versatile and warm sounding. A great instrument to play.

I think Gibson only made these for a few years-Glad I got one-They are world-class custom-quality basses.

18. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    but,you're talking about the Gibson Tobiases(which were not bad IMO)compared to the MTD of which Mike still makes.Have you ever compared the MTD to the pre-Gibson Tobias ? IMO that would be a better comparison of those 2 basses

19. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - I have a pre-Gibson Tobias and I've seen people playing MTDs and was really suprised at how similar some of the body shapes are to my bass.

20. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Bruce do you know what type of preamp that you have in your MTD.I know the ealier Tobiases, like mine came with the Tc7 preamp which I liked.As far as a couple of the MTDS that I got to try, the preamp that was in those basses sounded good,but did not have the snap" like the old Tobiases IMO.However I still would like to have an MTD 535