Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scuzzy666, Feb 20, 2001.

1. Musicyo.com is selling Tobias basses for 300 bucks and I was wondering if they were any damn good. They're listed at over $900 and if they're a good bass, I'm definitely going to take advantage of a $600 discount.

2. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    no don't buy them their rip off's of the american made one I have one and absoutly hate it :

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Scuzzy, remember that you get what you pay for.

The Tobias basses on Musicyo are worth about what they sell them for, no more.

With an electronics and hardware upgrade, they would be better, you would wind up with a bass that cost you around $650 - $700, lists for $900, and if you weren't happy with the way the bass sounded and played after the modifications you might get back the $300 or so you payed for it originally.

For the selling price, they are not bad, remember, no bass sells for the list price. But there are other basses that list for $900 that are better.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There is a Kingston model without the pickguard (slightly more $$). I agree, it's an acquired taste but the bass is a player.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There is a Kingston model without the pickguard (slightly more $$). I agree, it's an acquired taste but the bass is a player.

I had a Toby 6 briefly (and own two very old Tobiases). They're not a ripoff at the pricepoint they're selling for. Dealing with MusicYo was a very good experience for me.

6. I'm with Brad here. I have a 6, which I bought with the express intention of modifying. I figured they had a good neck and body, I love the shape of the body, the profile of the neck, and the headstock. I had a luthier do the number on the frets, and he had to do very little to make them perfect. I have had a Stingray 5, a TRB5, a custom built 6, Ibanez 5s and 6s, and heaps of 4s of all sorts, including an L series Jazz, and I'm absolutely happy with the Toby. OK, I've changed the tuners, bridge, pups, preamp etc, but that was my intention. This bass has been played by many of my friends, some of who have Smiths, Pedullas and a Sadowsky, and they all love it! So dont knock what is a good basic instrument that can be made into a great instrument with a little work.

7. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    If youre going for a 4 or 5, a Yamaha BB makes for a great bass to fix up. All youd need to do would be to switch the bridge maybe to a Zon bridge (you can buy them seperately, and theyre very good) or an ABM (perfection), and maybe switch the preamp and or pickups, and youre set with a great bass!