Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslax, Dec 16, 2001.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    is there anywhere i can hear a Tobias Toby Pro 4/5/6? i am seriously considering them and would like to be able to hear online or somehow. if i got one it would be the 6 string, but if anyone has an Mp3 or anything with the Toby on it could you send them to me. Also, do they still make fretlesses?

2. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    anyone? even if you have some mp3 of your band playing and youre on a tobias i would like to hear it.

thanks

3. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I was looking at the Pro-6 becasue I would like a six string along with my spector 4. my question: what is the general consensus on this bass? i know you get what you pay for and all, but is this a decent bass? A while ago on the thread people loved them, but what do you think now that all the hype is dead?

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Mike T himself has admitted they are cool- but suggests swapping the electronics-

5. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i had considered that, but i dont have a lot of money to spend...damn!! why cant i have more money!

6. I've put mine through it's paces over the last couple of years. Always worked flawlessly. My left thumb has polished the back of the neck completely smooth, and my fingers have polished the top of the bass. It's a @#%@# player. I will agree about the electronics, they are what's missing out of the price. But the neck on my Pro-5 is dead rock solid. The bridge is passable. Decent weight, decent construction. I've had quite a few compliments on it from local musicians. Everyone who's seen and played it enjoyed it. Lots of comments about string spacing being to close. Bah. I've never had a problem with hitting the right string when I need to. But this is on a 5, I don't know how tight the spacing is on a 6.

You never have to spend a lot of money to get something cool. You just have to know what you're looking for. If you want a great-for-the-price bass, I can't see where you'd go wrong with a Toby Pro series. Plus they make a 6, The MTD Kingston/Hiers don't have a 6 in the lineup.

7. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    hey is that you in the avatar?? if so you look a lot like p-nut...

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    basslax,
    Since you started two threads about pretty much the same thing, I merged the two of them together.

9. I have a Toby 6, which I bought knowing the electronics were crap, but the neck and body are good. I have since done the following:
    Bartolini 9WJ6 pickups
    Bartolini NTBT preamp
    Switchcraft output socket
    Gotoh 510 milled brass quick release bridge, with increased string spacing ( the neck can acommodate this)
    Gotoh GB71 tuners
    Large neck side dots
    Fret levelling and dress by a luthier

Was it worth it? To me it was. I have yet to hear a bass that sounds as good, at any price.
    Would I play a dead stock one? Well, they're OK, but not great.

10. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    I almost fell on the floor laughing when he told me he calls 'em Yobias.

elwood

11. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    if you dont mind me asking..how much for all of this?

12. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Sorry, the only sound clips I have are with the preamp changed. The stock pre ain't horrible. just real low output. I mean like turn everything to max to get the same output as a stock passive P-bass low.

13. Basslax, I live in new Zealand, so the prices will be right out of kilter for you, assuming you're American. The bass was $1995NZ and the mods were maybe $900NZ, which makes a total of $2895, which is about $1200US I think. It is a killer bass. I currently have GHS Boomers on it which seem to suit it fine. Slowounds work well on it too. The only drawback to it is the neck imbalance. I'm playing 3-5 gigs a week, and some of our gigs are up to 5 hours long. The weight and holding the neck up can get mighty tiring.