Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TOBIAS basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lawnpatio, Oct 11, 2000.

1. lawnpatio

lawnpatio

Jun 27, 2000
    I saw this bass (TOBIAS Toby PRO-4 Bass) for sale on a website. Does ANYONE own or know anything about this bass????? Any info is greatly helpful. Thanks everyone

2. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    I've recently bought this bass, and have to say it's been awsome it has really great sound, and got a good reveiw by bassplayer and a bestbuyeraward. I'd recommend to any bass player who has a tigh budget and looking for an all around good bass guitar. It's good for all types of music I find.

_
    __
    ___
    ____
    _____
    ______
    _______
    ________
    _________

3. lawnpatio

lawnpatio

Jun 27, 2000
    Thanks Bassman, I was going to purchase the Spector NS2000, but is there anyway you can play it before purchasing it???

4. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    they have a 30 day money back thing if your not happy with it just ship it back, and they'll refund your money except shipping costs check it out at http://www.musicyo.com

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't think that in reality, the Bass Player mag review was actually that good. They kept repeating throughout, that it was only good "In this price range". They said this at every point and I think they were basically saying "we don't like it - but it's so cheap we can't complain - plus, we might lose a huge amount of ad revenue!" ;)

6. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    I thought the reveiw was fine, it's a execellent bass for the money, I've never seen bass player mag happy with any bass tho, they always find some kind of problem.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Actually it's the other way around - they go out of their way not to say anything bad about any gear, presumably in case they annoy potential future advertisers.

But you were the one who said it was a good review - I was just "reading between the lines" - I think you have to be a bit naive to take any of these reviews on face value! ;)

8. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Well Bruce your right I just finished reading the fulll review. I was wondering what bass to you play on?

9. Bruce Lindfield

That's what profiles are for! :rolleyes:

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I do tend to agree with your comment, Bruce! For the most part, unless Bass Player gushes over a bass, which they rarely do, I don't like to put a lot of stock in their reviews.

And, they don't do a great job of explaining why something gets a particular rating...for example, in a recent review, I noticed that they buried a quick comment about a problem with an input jack among several other mildly positive comments. And, they gave the review of construction a "4". But, if there are problems, or the tone is just not that great, they should tell us!

11. lawnpatio

lawnpatio

Jun 27, 2000
    So then, are you guys saying that this bass isn't that good compared to like a Spector NS2000?? Thanks again

12. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    I like tobias over spectar so I say go for the tobias!

13. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey,
    Where did you see the Tobias on sale? Just interested because I am looking into buying a Toby 5 string. I was actually planning on buying it from musicyo.com. Thanks for showing me that BassMan 2000.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Have you ever actually PLAYED a spectar?

15. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Yes I have played the specter I own the 5 string europe model

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Just wanted to make sure. Some people criticize basses they've never played. Since you misspelled 'Spector', I assumed you had never played one, let alone owned one.

;) :cool:

17. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Here's an experiment: take a Spector ns2000 and a toby pro and put them side by side... got it? Tell me they don't have eerily similar qualities. Know why? Made by the same korean plant... I think Samick.

And SPECTOR was misspelled 2 x.

18. Bruce Lindfield

You haven't got this on your profile - so I think it's a valid assumption. Didn't you say in another thread that people are too concerned with buying and changing basses and now you seem to be saying you have several and are advocating people buy new things - make up your mind. :)

19. i've not played one, so i'm going soley on one of my freinds opinions. he had a tobias for a while and he eventually got rid of it.
    his comment was "i could get a load of diferent sounds out of it, but none of them were particularly nice".

now he plays a stingray.

i;ve never played spector but theres one in my local music shop so i'm gonna try it soon.

i'm out in london tomorrow trying out for a new amp, so i may take the opportunity to try out a few "new to me" basses. i'll have a look out for a tobias.

i esp want to try one of those new warwick basses - with the f holes. totally out of my price range and not my style at all, but i'll bet they sound good!

20. Bruce Lindfield

Arfur, just bear in mind that there are Tobias basses and Tobias basses. Ones made before 1990 are very good, ones made in the last few years aren't really Tobias (closer to being Samicks)and generally get a big thumbs down, when I've tried them in the shops in London.

If you're in Denmark St. have a look at the new Yamaha TRBPs - 5 or 6 string with through-neck and piezo bridge - they look very nice! I am tempted. ;)