Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias - budget brand !?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tightanic, Oct 26, 2000.

1. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    Hi everybody!
    As i read some posts today, i noticed someone talking about Micheal Tobias, "the famous bass inventor" or something like this. As I went to MusicYo to see some, i noticed their extremly low price. I got to read some older posts about them, and many users complaint about cheap construction. Now how come that a bass-legend is crap?

Johannes

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Because Michael Tobias sold his right to the "Tobias" brand name in 1990. If you want to see his own current basses look for MTDs. The whole history is on his website :

http://www.mtdbass.com/

Tobias basses that he made from 1990 backwards are "legendary" - those made since, really have nothing to do with Michael Tobias, who is still considered a leading luthier and bass-making "guru".

3. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I own both an original Michael Tobias Bass and a more recent Tobias bass and the difference is so huge you cant beleive it has the same name and design.

The original is a masterful work of art blending looks, balance, and electronics into an wonderful playing and listening experience.

The new one just plain sux.

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Depends on which Tobias's you're comparing. If you're comparing the Signature and Classic models made by Gibson to the ones made by Michael Tobias, there really isn't much difference despite claims to the contray. If you're comparing the high end ones by Michael Tobias to say a Killer B or a Growler, that's pretty much apples and oranges, and if you're comparing to the Toby's, cherries and lemons.

5. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I am comparing a signature to a killer B, so you're right about the apples and oranges. But, still, the killer B is quite expensive (over $1000) and is really only worth a few hudred in terms of quality.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'd have to respectfully disagree with both of you on that one :D

I have yet to come across a crappy pre-Gibson Tobias (in over twenty years). I have a 78 and an 84 that both sound great and are a dream to play. They're in great shape...I'm the original owner. Of the new upper end ones I've checked out (literally dozens) the good ones seem to be the exception to the rule. I don't think they all suck but that's one bass I wouldn't buy (Gibson era) without checking it out first.

If you're talking only about a cosmetic difference, I agree. Gibson made some nice looking ones;)

7. Bruce Lindfield

I think Brad is right, they don't look any different, but when you pick up and play the "real thing", then it is immediately apparent and you just have to have it.

I like Phil's quote too - "The original is a masterful work of art blending looks, balance, and electronics into an wonderful playing and listening experience." Exactly my feelings!

8. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Brad, who said they are both "pre-gibson"? What I said is that the old awesome one is great (pre-gibson) and the newer one sux (gibson). Does that clarify it for you?

9. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000

Hey, wait a minute....that was my comment!

10. Bruce Lindfield

Sorry, I was just looking at Brad's post and failed to notice that it was a quote within a quote!

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sorry for the confusion, Brewer. I wasn't saying you said both of yours were pre-Gibson, I was referring to these two comments: the bass legend being crap and that there's little or no difference between original and Gibson Signature and Classic models (and I'm not saying you said either). I was saying that, while I can't recall ever seeing a crappy pre-Gibson, the Gibson era stuff is seriously hit or miss.